FTM?

Started by smokinrookiejr, February 19, 2005, 01:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinrookiejr

we just got done with our pork roast.it looks and smells good.

P.S. FTM= foil, towel, microwave  [:D]
smoker temp. 236 put roast in at 1;00p.m.
8;15p.m. internal temp. 167.
no peeking. for some reason internal temp. stalled.
did we do something wrong[?]

smokin in the boys room!

nsxbill

The temp stalls while connective tissue breaks down...sometimes for a couple of hours...the key thing is that it will start to rise as you patiently await the arrival at the meat temp you set.  Hard to not peek.... lots of worry when you see it stall..... no worries....trust the goal temp as what you are watching for.  You will go crazy when you do pork butt or big brisket...I use 205-210° and and let the BS do its thing.  I change out the water after 4 hours, then no more peeking until the alarm goes off.  It is worth the wait!  Could be 12-14 hours later, the foil towel and cooler...forget the microwave...be patient.
Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

humpa

I agree with Bill here. Time is not a factor when you are smoking. Low and slow is the only way we do things around here, and you need a lot of patience. The reward is when it's all done. I am smoking 75 pounds of brisket right now and I'm planning on about 20 hours of cook time. I usually start briskets in the afternoon, so I don't have to get up too early in the AM. Then I FTC them until supper time. Good luck!!!!

Ernie....Weymouth, MA