pork belly

Started by chain smoker, August 22, 2009, 07:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain smoker

I was wondering how much people are paying for their pork belly?...I paid almost $3 a pound recently..feels kinda steap.

I bought it from a meat market chain. do places like WalMart carry it?

Thanks!

Tenpoint5

That sounds pretty normal $2.50-3.00 a pound
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

buttburner

I went to buy some at a large well known farmers market by me and it was 1.99 which I thought was high

but everywhere else it was 2.49-3.00

I aint paying that for it when I can get bacon for that or less

if I find it on sale I am going to stock up on it, but i have never seen it on sale as its not exactly a popular cut of meat for the average shopper to buy

deb415611

buttburner,

To me it's worth the price even if it's more than grocery store bacon.  IMO grocery store bacon is not in the same league as home cured & smoked bacon.

Deb

Tenpoint5

You nailed that one Deb. Its not the price its the fact that you made it yourself.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

buttburner

Quote from: deb415611 on August 23, 2009, 04:40:18 AM
buttburner,

To me it's worth the price even if it's more than grocery store bacon.  IMO grocery store bacon is not in the same league as home cured & smoked bacon.

Deb

oh yea, I understand that.

just trying toi justify it to my wife on a very tight food budget is pretty hard right now

maybe when things get better!!!!

kitchendad

I just bought 10lbs of belly last week, it came in at 2.95/lb.  Around here pork belly is hard to find, so the higher price seems justified to me.  The way I figure it my 10lbs of bacon will end up costing me about $40, so $4/lb.  Bacon at my grocery store ranges from $2-$6/lb depending on quality and size.  So I am paying somewhere in the midrange, except this will (hopefully) be better and its fun!
Just a dad cooking for the family.

deb415611

If you have freezer space check to see what it would cost for a case.  HCT a case awhile ago at the place where I get mine and  he paid quite a bit less than what I pay per lb.

smokeitall

You gotta remember that the bacon in the store has a lot of water added for weight also.

Tenpoint5

SIA there wasn't any water added to the bellies you got. What did you pay per pound for them?  ;D or should I say per gallon?

BigJohnT

SIA makes some awesome bacon even at 4:30 am

John

smokeitall

Hey 10.5 nope no water added.  I have two left and they will be gone soon.  The best part about it is making it yourself, not to mention the taste.

Hey John, making bacon at 4:30am last week reminded me of hunting season, just missing the cabin and the woods.  :)  Man I hope we get that managed hunt this year at Mingo.

SIA

OU812

I buy bellies by the case and the last case i got it was $1.00 / lb

I'm waiting for another meat sale, will have to see what the price will be this time. I get all my pork this way

Smokin Soon

Just went in to my Asian grocery store that has the best meaty spareribs and saw bellys at .99 a pound with a 10 pound limit. Stuff a few in the freezer as I have a good supply of Bacon frozen. I wish I could store more! The Butcher told me to come back tomorrow early for Butts at .99 a pound. I really gotta look into a chest freezer!

OU812

S S

Now thats a score