Extreme Cold Weather operation

Started by Arctic Smoker, December 17, 2009, 08:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Smoker

Hello all,

We just purchased an OBS yesterday, so please forgive my "newbie" question, but here goes...

Is there a temperature limit for operating the OBS?  We live in the Canadian Arctic.  Right now (December), the daytime high temperature doesn't get much above -25 degrees F, and even that is considered "warm" here.  Temperatures down to -40 degrees F (not including windchill) and colder are fairly common.   :o

Is this beyond the operating limit of the OBS?  I'm wondering whether I'm going to have to wait until the spring to use it!

Thoughts?

pensrock

Welcome, we have several canucks as well as members from Alaska on here. They will be more able to discuss this than I am. However if you can keep the wind off it say put it in a garage or something you should be able to use it most of the year. It may take longer to preheat and to recover after loading but most members pretty much use them year round.

oakville smoker

Hi and welcome

I am an Ontario guy.  We dont get the consistent minus 25 stuff that you guys do but I am still struggling with how I am going
to deal with the cold temps.  I really think I will build a wooden box with a door, insulate the inside of it with styrofoam pink
insulation, make sure there is a place for the smoke to go and see what happens.

the garage is also an option if you can exhaust the smoke somehow.  I am thinking that one through as well

have a look around the board, there are some good ideas in other posts about how to deal with the cold

Smoking in the cold brings a whole new meaning to "low and slow"
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum AS.  Luckily, we don't temps like that down here.  Brrrrrr.  We're 'suffering' here today with 23*F and windy.

I have two suggestions.  First, as pens said, try to keep it out of the wind.  Second, you have to season it anyway so fire it up and see what happens.  Good luck.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

It has also been mentioned that you will want to remove your generator and store inside to keep it warm
until time to use it so you at least have a chance to smoke.

I also think if I were you I would call Bradley as they would know the limits of the smoker.

They are great people and will be glad to help you.

Good luck and stay warm

Arctic Smoker

Great idea re: calling Bradley.  I'll have to try that out. 

Hmmm, maybe they'd consider it an "official trial" or something, and provide me with some free pucks (gears turning in cranium...  ;D)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Arctic Smoker on December 17, 2009, 12:36:44 PM

Hmmm, maybe they'd consider it an "official trial" or something, and provide me with some free pucks (gears turning in cranium...  ;D)

Now if you build an igloo and have a Bradley in it smokin and send a pic of that to them, They could never deny you some free pucks. ;D

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 17, 2009, 01:30:28 PM
Quote from: Arctic Smoker on December 17, 2009, 12:36:44 PM

Now if you build an igloo and have a Bradley in it smokin and send a pic of that to them, They could never deny you some free pucks. ;D

... and what's your favorite flavor sir?  I like the Polar Bear Yellow Snow pucks.  But they don't seem to last 20 minutes.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Arctic Smoker

Polar bears love igloos, especially with folks in 'em.  It's a nice tasty treat for them: hard and crunchy on the outside, warm, soft and gooey on the inside!

Reminds me of that old joke about the three guys arguing over whose igloo was the coldest....  but I digress.

I'll have to get some sort of wind block built.  Hmm, I wonder if one of those portable ice fishing shelters might work?  Keeping it out of the wind still won't improve the ambient air temp, though.

I'll post back on this forum to let folks know who well it performs in the more extreme temps.

ArnieM

Quote from: Arctic Smoker on December 19, 2009, 12:40:02 PM
Reminds me of that old joke about the three guys arguing over whose igloo was the coldest....  but I digress.

Don't worry about digressing.  I'd love to hear it.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: Arctic Smoker on December 19, 2009, 12:40:02 PM
Hmm, I wonder if one of those portable ice fishing shelters might work?  Keeping it out of the wind still won't improve the ambient air temp, though.

That would be perfect...   You might even be able to rig a little propane heater in there to bring the temps up a bit.

Be advised, it will get nice and 'seasoned' in there. (dripping with smoky icicles)

KevinG

Even though I don't need to cook in that temp, I'm curious as to what Bradley says if anything. Could you post that when you contact them? Thanks!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Dachar

Hi Everyone,
I just got my OBS and I'm in Washington. It's 25 degrees tonight, and I'm smoking some chicken, holding the temp at 250 nicely. Is this cool or what!   

hal4uk

Artic...  Do you have any LUGGAGE?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Hello Dachar. Yes this is very cool. Hey why don't ya pop over to the "Introduce yourself " page and let us know who your are and where you hail from. Oh yeah tell us what smoker you got too. We love a good intro.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.