Smoked Halibut Brine Contest

Started by iceman, August 23, 2009, 01:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Okay folks here's a little project for you to ponder.  ???

I'm looking for a good brine to use on halibut. Now, don't forget that halibut is very lean and dries out if cooked even a hint to much. Sooooo put those thinking caps on and see if you can help this old boy out. I have a freezer full to smoke up this year and want to make some really good smoked treats up for friends.
If you do come up with a brine that works for me I will send a package of iceman's BBQ sauce and rub down your way as a thank you gift.
Thanks again for the help and KEEP ON SMOKING friends.
Pat and Ann and the critters.

Tenpoint5

Pat could you send some to me to do some sample recipes on? Last time I had good halibut was some deep fried halibut at the Alaskan Salmon Bake in Fairbanks.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

The prize is well worth the challenge.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Wish I could help you out there Pat.  The last time I had enough halibut to do anything with, I would sprinkle it with cajun spice, and some salt and a pat of butter and put on indirect heat on the grill and smoke till done - didn't take long.  If'n it did get dry, I would make smoked halibut dip with it.  Tasty.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok

Still haven't messed around with "the other white meat" but I'll do some checking around and see what comes up w/ my local Sourdough friends.....

pensrock

I rarely get halibut let alone have any to play with, wish I could help.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Iceman,

I have recently come across this brine recipe that is good for several types of fish including Halibut. I have tried it on Salmon and it worked just fine maybe you would have similar success on Halibut. Her is the link:

www.corpusfishing.com/smokingfish.htm 

I would probably add some olive oil to that since halibut is a less fatty fish.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

iceman

Quote from: Kummok on August 24, 2009, 10:19:34 AM
Still haven't messed around with "the other white meat" but I'll do some checking around and see what comes up w/ my local Sourdough friends.....

Thanks Kummok

iceman

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 24, 2009, 02:47:09 PM
Hi there Iceman,

I have recently come across this brine recipe that is good for several types of fish including Halibut. I have tried it on Salmon and it worked just fine maybe you would have similar success on Halibut. Her is the link:

www.corpusfishing.com/smokingfish.htm 

I would probably add some olive oil to that since halibut is a less fatty fish.

HR

Thanks!!! I'll give it a try.  ;)

iceman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 23, 2009, 01:15:55 PM
Pat could you send some to me to do some sample recipes on? Last time I had good halibut was some deep fried halibut at the Alaskan Salmon Bake in Fairbanks.

Guess I need to check on that sample project. I'll run it by Ann  ;D

Tenpoint5

Pat,
I havent found any brines as of yet, but i only looked in my two culinary textbooks. I have found a Seafood and Poultry rub, in a book I was printing at work, that you may wish to try.

Seafood and Poultry Rub

1/3 cup Fresh Cracked Pepper
1/3 cup Kosher Salt
1/3 cup Lightly packed Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Paprika
1/3 cup Cumin
2 Tbs Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbs Ground Allspice
2 Tbs Ground Ginger

Using your hands rub it onto Seafood or Poultry before Grilling

Hopefully that will get you a little closer to your goal.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

stillsmoking

Hi Iceman, it has been a while since I have been on here so am just seeing your post.  I have fooled around with halibut a bit now and then and as you say it is tricky due to the lack of fat.  I will look around and see if I wrote anything down.  I recall white wine, cayenne, dill, onion, garlic and probably apple juice but not much else.  I really do like smoked halibut though when it comes out right.  I am sure I used apple wood.  Good luck on the search and please share the results of what you find out.

Kummok

OK, Ice....I've checked with the two salmon sourdoughs that I had in mind and they both say, "Don't bother"....They've tried several ways and it still comes out like "a bar of soap". (One of them fed me smoked moose ribs during the discussion...GLAD you asked!!)  Now for most, that might be "nuff said" but to those on THIS forum, that's like throwing down the gauntlet! I say Smoke On! There's gotta be a way to make this nasty, dry bottom fish taste good coming out of a Bradley....I'm thinking oil injection or some other way to get the oil content up where it needs to be to help permeate the smoke flavor?!?!?  Anxious to hear if you come up with anything BEFORE I start experimenting this winter!

Tenpoint5

Still Smoking is this the Brine you was talking about?

2qts water
1/2 Cup salt
1/2 Cup brown sugar
2 TBsp black pepper with lemon
2 TBsp dried onion flakes
2 TBsp dried garlic flakes
1 TBsp chili powder
2 Tbsp dried dill

Will marinate the for about 30 minutes then smoke at 210 for 30 minutes and check for doneness.

Tenpoint5

Here's one from a fella named Steve McClure has a guide service in Soldotna

HOW TO MAKE ALASKAN SMOKED SALMON or HALIBUT
Cut 2 - 3 inch Alaska salmon strips across from top to bottom - leave the skin on. Use 1 1/2 gallons of brine for every 3 pounds of fish. Brine fish overnight (or 8 hours) in the refrigerator. For Alaska Halibut cut approximately 2 x 2 x 8 inch chunks closest to the skin, leave skin on.

Basic Brine

Prepare a brine of 3 1/2 cups sea salt in about 1 1/2 gallons of cold water in a very large plastic, stainless steel, or crockery container. (I use a 3 gallon buckets and remove a shelf or 2 in the refrigerator) Red or white wine can be substituted for a portion or all of the water, if desired. Stir the salt until a saturated solution is formed. You may use just this to brine or add your own flavoring.

Flavoring Favorite Add:
• 5 cups brown sugar
• 3 cups soy sauce
• 2 1/2 cups vinegar
• 1 cup worchesterchire sauce
• 9 cloves minced garlic
• 1/2 cup onion powder
• 1/4 cup red pepper powder(optional)
• 2 fresh lemons - juice and peels
• 1/4 cup black pepper

Allow to sit 1/2 hour stirring every 10 minutes. Allow to rest until sediments sink to bottom, about 1/2 hour, and carefully place your fish fillets loosely packed in brine solution.

When the curing is over, lift the fish out and allow them to drip. Do not try to rub off the excess brine. An important chemical process has occurred during the cure. Proteins from the fishes' flesh have leached into the brine. The thin coat of brine now covering the flesh is rich with these proteins.
After curing, the fish is rinsed to remove the salt and other curing ingredients from the surface, then allowed to dry in cool flowing air until a shiny, slightly tacky skin (pellicle) forms on the surface. The pellicle serves several functions, as first, it provides an ideal surface for the smoke flavor to adhere to and helps seal in the remaining moisture through the smoking process, and secondly, it prevents the fats in the fish from rising to the surface and spoiling. Drying is accomplished at room temperature. Place the fish splayed on a wire rack, skin down in front of a fan for about an hour. When the flesh is dry to the touch with no puddles of moisture, it is ready. At this point, you will be able to feel the pellicle. The fish will probably feel a bit oily too. That is natural. They are now ready to smoke. (Small outdoor smokers are commonly available at reasonable prices) Place skin down on smoker racks with space between each piece. Smoke until it LOOKS done (usually a few hours or longer). Test a larger piece on top rack, if still wet and mooshie in the middle return to smoker for a bit. You may see the bottom rack is done, remove fish, vacuum pack and freeze if storing long periods. Store in refrigerator otherwise.