Smoked Halibut Brine Contest

Started by iceman, August 23, 2009, 01:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I can't Sleep So instead of waking up the house doing something at this time of the night so I'll keep looking and posting what I find.

French's Un-Briny Brine

1 cup water
1 cup white cooking wine
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup lemon juice
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

Mix until sugar dissolves. Makes enough to brine 5 pounds of filets. If desired, substitute kosher salt or pickling salt for half the sugar. Do NOT use iodized salt.

So far, I've used this brine on Spanish mackerel, halibut,
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

iceman

I'll have to try those recipes out Tenpoint5. Thanks for the posts. When I get back from the slope the R&D will begin.

dbrown1

I will be trying this myself next week... maybe too late but I will let you know what I come up with

iceman

Quote from: dbrown1 on August 31, 2009, 01:03:54 PM
I will be trying this myself next week... maybe too late but I will let you know what I come up with

Keep us posted on your results.  :)

dbrown1

Will do... I am being forced to go camping with the inlaws this weekend so no smoked halibut... but as soon as I get er done I'll let you know.

dbrown1

Well I smoked some halibut, I used the recipe from Bradley (alder wood smoked Halibut)
Sorry no pics... but it turned out great I would suggest giving that a try.

iceman

Quote from: dbrown1 on September 22, 2009, 08:45:15 AM
Well I smoked some halibut, I used the recipe from Bradley (alder wood smoked Halibut)
Sorry no pics... but it turned out great I would suggest giving that a try.

Is that recipe out of the Bradley recipe book? If so I don't have that one. Can anyone get me a copy of the recipe?
Thanks;  Pat

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

dbrown1

Well I was just about to post that for ya, beat to the punch... Well I hope you like it I enjoyed it.

iceman

Thanks for the help folks. I think some sauce needs to go out to a few of you when I run the next batch. I'll pm you guys to get addys to send it to.  ;)

shakesports

this may seem obvious but have you tried the "Alder Smoked Halibut" recipe off of the main Bradley site.  I used that recipe on some tuna and it turned out great. made a fantastic smoked tuna salad that worked well on sandwiches, salads, dips you name it.

shake

dbrown1

iceman

dbrown1

You're quite welcome, glad I could help... Hope you enjoy the smoked Halibut