High temp screens

Started by mikecorn.1, August 25, 2009, 10:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Hey folks, got a question. Some members have smaller grid  high temp screens that are placed inside the racks of the bradley. What is the advantage of this. Most of the time I see big cuts of meat and or other things that are not going to fall thru the racks. I can see maybe for things like chex mix or skrimps. thanks  ;D
Mike

BigJohnT

I use mine for everything except jalapenos... Next time I order I'm getting another set.

But I'm a newbee...

John

mikecorn.1

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 25, 2009, 11:07:50 AM
I use mine for everything except jalapenos... Next time I order I'm getting another set.

But I'm a newbee...

John
[/quote

BJT, do you find any advantages in using these over just the racks from the smoker? To me it would be more work at the end as far as having to scrub more stuff. Any input would be appreciated. I was eyeing some at yardandpool.com
Mike

Mr Walleye

Mike

My experience with the high temp screens is that they seem to be pretty much "nonstick". I use them for everything and even though you still have a rack and a screen to clean, they come cleaner easier and your product doesn't stick to the rack when you go to lift it off.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BigJohnT

That's been what I've seen too the food doesn't stick much. I'm usually doing smaller pieces like chicken parts or jerky. I also use one of the original racks lined with foil to catch the drippings. Much easier to clean up... just wad up the foil after pouring off any liquids. As for cleaning the racks my Mother in law has never complained...

John

KyNola

I'm with Mike.  My high temp screens go in everytine I use the Bradley and my Traeger!  Almost non-stick everytime.

Big John T, you might want to give a second thought to covering any entire rack with foil.  That can really impede the circulation of heat and smoke and possibly void your warranty.  No offense intended.

KyNola

BigJohnT

KyNola,

I've not noticed any difference in temperature or smoke with or without the rack covered in foil. The only thing I noticed is the lack of burned on mess on the V tray.

John

pensrock

non-stick and easier clean up, I also use mine when doing peanuts or pistachios.  :)

KyNola

John,
Looks like I could be mistaken then.  My apologies.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Like others here, I use them for everything. It makes clean up easier.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 25, 2009, 12:03:34 PM
Like others here, I use them for everything. It makes clean up easier.

Me too.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 25, 2009, 11:31:28 AM
KyNola,

I've not noticed any difference in temperature or smoke with or without the rack covered in foil. The only thing I noticed is the lack of burned on mess on the V tray.

John

I have to agree with KyNola. Covering the racks completely with foil will cause heat to build up under the foiled trays. You are using a PID, so if you use the PID beneath the bottom foil tray you will not get the heat build up, but the temperature above the foiled tray should be much cooler.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Thanks for all the input. Thats why this is the best forum around. Looks like I will be placing an order for 4 of them. By the way, does anyone know how often amazon.com does the 4 for 3 deal. I have plenty for a while but doesnt hurt to get more.  ;D    have not checked amazon lately.
Mike

squirtthecat

They were still running it early last week..  I've got 8 boxes of apple now. (for the price of 6)

Some is stashed under the spare room bed for now..