Buying first smoker. What do I need to go with it?

Started by danattherock, August 27, 2009, 08:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Quote from: danattherock on August 29, 2009, 11:40:19 AM
Thanks for your help. I learned everything I know about smoking on this forum in the last 24 hours. Tons of info and nice folks willing to help out. Glad I found you ;D
Remember to post them pics.  ;D
Mike

dbrown1

Don't know if this helps but at 44.00 USD per 120 bisquettes that is 0.36 per bisquette.
Applying smoke for three hours goes through 18 bisquettes that is 6.48 USD per every three hours of smoke.... It doesn't seem terribly expensive to me then again I wouldn't know of a cheaper way to smoke as the Bradley is my first smoker and still new to the "scene".

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: dbrown1 on September 03, 2009, 06:41:57 PM
Don't know if this helps but at 44.00 USD per 120 bisquettes that is 0.36 per bisquette.
Applying smoke for three hours goes through 18 bisquettes that is 6.48 USD per every three hours of smoke.... It doesn't seem terribly expensive to me then again I wouldn't know of a cheaper way to smoke as the Bradley is my first smoker and still new to the "scene".

Close but  3 hours of smoke only uses 9 bisquettes which would equal $3.30 every 3 hours or $1.10 per hour of smoking

Brian

squirtthecat

That's about how I calculate it as well...  ~$1 per hour of smoke.  The rest of the time (20+ hours for a big pork butt), you are just using electricity.

How much of that?  I don't know...   I'm going to borrow a friend's 'Kill A Watt' (link follows) to see how much juice my OBS really uses for a long, overnight  cook.

http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-CE.html

danattherock

Of all the ways I waste money, I am not concerned about the cost of the smoking. Sounds pretty cheap actually for the enjoyment you seem to get out of it.

Mike,

10-4 on the pics man:)
"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

dbrown1

Oh man did I screw that up lol... thanks for the correction ;D

dbrown1

Yeah, my point was that I find it to be a great return on investment and all in all its rather cheap.

Wildcat

Much cheaper than going out - at least twice as good as most commercial establishments - and fun to boot.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/