Whole small salmon

Started by schneep, August 29, 2009, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

We were out on Lake Michigan and we caught some king salmon, I have never smoked any, but have checked out the threads about how, but I still have a question.  I saved a couple smaller ones, 5lbs each ready to go,  I would like to do these whole, but all the threads show small pieces or fillets.

What is the best way to proceed here, I would like to do them this weekend and prefer hot smoke as I have never done a cold and don't want to attempt with something new.
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

FLBentRider

I've never done them whole.

I've hot smoked fillets, and done the Kummok's salmon in the pieces.

I think the smaller pieces is for more even cooking.

I don't see why you couldn't smoke it whole, as long as it fits.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

danattherock

A bit off subject, but perhaps something you would enjoy reading. This is a link to a forum post on the Outdoorsdirectory, an all Alaska outdoors forum. This is from the "Pantry" forum. Lots of good info there on smoking salmon. Below is one such thread....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=5127

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

schneep

Thanks for the info, I have decided to fillet them, (they are small) I will be using the brine found here, and will post pics when done

Hopefull Romantic

This post might be a bit late for you but I have done half a salmon in my smoker which was more than 5 pounds for the half.

I have done the normal forum brine and rinsed it well. I hung it below the top rack by an SS food grade  S shaped hook. It came out perfect. Just a word of caution, hang it from its tail and try to center the hook right below the tail in the middle. I have tried it hung from the mouth but the jaws gave in after a while and it fell.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

schneep

Filleted them and used Kummok's recipe and all I can say is OMG!! Turned out just like candy.

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/schneep/Smokin%20salmon/

OU812

schneep, nice looking fillet's, not to big , not to small, just the way i like it.

All this talk about salmon is making me want some.

Tenpoint5

Great looking Fillets Schneep!!

Friendly suggestion when ramping up your temp maybe do it slower. to avoid the dreaded "White Buggers" (Fats and Oils) I would still eat that salmon if it was here. The Buggers are a cosmetic thing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!