Chez and All.... My idea to vent my bradley

Started by Oldman, February 20, 2005, 05:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Chez,
I'm going to be modifying my Bradley so I can keep it inside my garage.  I will be putting four 1/4" holes in top around the vent. These holes will go through to the inside of the cabinet.  I thought I would ask if you know of any wiring in that area. I don't think there would be but I wanted to ask.

It will have a variable speed exhaust fan mounted on the garage wall that I will turn up to high speed when the smoking is over with to insure the unit is empty of smoke before I  open the Bradley. Of course the Bradley and the wall unit will be connected using a drier vent hose.

Now I'm not interested in selling this.  If someone see a buck that can be made on this then go for it. The man who will make it for me is about 60 days out on a big project.  It will be made completely out of Stainless Steel.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Olds

EDIT: OH NO!!! I can't be!!! It is! It's nsxbill...and he's got smoke sensors and a wireless remote!!!  (sorry nsxbill I just could not resist!) LMSO!
http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

olds before you go and cut some holes in the top. i would play a bit, the bradley is set up for a natural draft , i think you can make a some type of stove pipe that would fit over the bradley vent, and would be about 2 feet long with a 45 angle in the pipe to give it some resistence, for the draft then have the fan about 2 feet above it , and use some magnetic tape on the pipe flang to atach to the bradley, then hook up your vent fan, whith the variable speed , i would wire it into a a light switch on a power cord , to be able to use a dimmer switch, that would give even less power to control your fan , kinda of get the idea? sorry for the spelling bill. LOL

nsxbill

senors?? Did you mean seƱors - a bunch of hispanic fellows, or sensors?

How did I get into this?  Does this mean you are now open to other than traditional control of the smoker? [:D].  

Just curious!  Wouldn't the smoke passively draw without a fan if the top of the vent went through the outside wall mounted higher than the smoker?  Fan would be nice to suck out all the smoke.  How much smoke is happening after 4 hours of pucks max are all exhausted and just using heat for remainder of smoke?

Post up the pictures when you get it completed.  Regarding my controlling the BS remotely with my Procom4 Guru....The only way to fly!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the bradley is set up for a natural draft <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wouldn't the smoke passively draw without a fan if the top of the vent went through the outside wall mounted higher than the smoker? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">SR, nsx the bradley will still be a natural draft with the adjustment of the second vent. The reason for the fan is to help prevent any back drafts. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and use some magnetic tape on the pipe flang to atach to the bradley<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> My unit is Stainless Steel...magnets won't work. Using the type of hinged bolt and hinges on the other side once they are installed the only time you would have to remove them would be to replace the gasket.

As for the fan itself I'm considering using a pull chain fan the kind you would find in mobile homes. If I go this route I will use a small Vent hood as SR has suggested. Good suggestion SR! Thanks.  This does have its pluses. Like not having to worry with balancing the airflow with the exception that the end of the vent hose would have to be close enough to pull just a little air from the mounting bracket on the Bradley to prevent smoke from escaping where the original vent adjustment handle of the Bradley sticks out. Next the ease of cleaning this type of fan is a consideration. Of course I would still have to come up with a backflow damper.

However, every now and then my wife brings up a good point. If the fan is mounted through the wall, then when we sell the house we lose the fan. With that in mind I might consider an In-Line-Fan. If I do then it will be mounted on top of the Bradley. The wall vent itself would then be a simple drier vent.

This is some info on this fan:
With the unique inline design incorporating a rotating motor, considerable power savings can result because of this ability to match the airflow to the actual requirements. Speed control through voltage reduction from 100% to zero can be accomplished without damage to the motor.
This is a 4 inch, 124 CFM at 0 in WG Static Pressur,e 115V, 60Hz, single-phase. If I use this one then I will also purchase their backdraft damper.

This makes more sense than a wall mounted fan in the area of retaining the fan. However, it also has some drawbacks.  One, is setting/ balancing the air flow. Two, cleaning it is also a consideration.

The last idea is to use the pull chain fan and hood, but mount it so low that the bradley will just barely fit under it. Again I would have to add a backflow damper.  The pros to this is everything. The one con is that when we sell the house how do you explain it to the new owners that having a low mounted vented hood in your garage is a good thing? LOL!!!  

I'm going to weight these options out.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

oldman, sorry to say this but the bs in stainles is not realy stainless becuase i use a big magnet to hold on my guru[:(] , so a magnet will work , i am thinking it is a brushed stainless look alike. also to controll your fan use a dimmer light switch wired into the power cord for the fan , you will beable to control the fan at even lower speeds, just a thought,

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">oldman, sorry to say this but the bs in stainles is not realy stainless becuase i use a big magnet<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks. I was wondering about the grade of SS as I have some problems with the finish.

We have talked it over and I now believe we are going with a 550 cfm through the wall unit and a 20" hood. At that amount of CFM I should not have to worry about a backdraft.If I had room in my kitchen I would put it there--LOL! Next to get over it been so low to the ground we will just raise the Bradley to eye level. [^]

This is the unit I'm looking at: It is a pdf file.
http://www.farreys.com/pdf/nutone/8110spec.pdf Now I just have to find a ventless hood.

EDIT: My wife has just come up with another great idea. Use two fans make the hood larger and then add my large radiant gas grill (30 incher) to the table... I like this idea alot. [^][^][^] At the moment it is on wheels and I store it in my shed. Taking it out when I want to use it. However, on rainy days that does not work! [:(]  The table might have to be bi-level. The higher side for the bradley and a lower side for the grill.  

Thanks all just a couple of things you said has caused this to envolve into a better end result!
Olds

manxman

Just a comment regarding stainless steel, we have large brushed stainless steel refridgerators and freezers at work.

These are suppossedly high quality high specification products which are used for storing blood and blood products for transfusion purposes.... the SS on these is also magnetic.

Maybe some other metal is added to get the "brushed" effect or to make them more scratch resistant? Or perhaps the general quality of SS is just *!*p nowadays, most is probably imported nowadays!

Manxman.
Manxman

Kummok

Olds
From the sounds of it, you're progressing into a restaurant or residential type hood and duct assembly?!?!? Try your local "used restaurant equipment supplier"....also keep an eye out for garage sales/want ads/building supply scratch and dent sales offering residential oven/range vent....they come with lights, auto overheat fan switches, are made to easily install through walls, and require no connections to the Bradley. When you leave the house for good, disconnect the hood from the wall duct and take it with you. I have a nice copper one that I just removed on our kitchen remodel that I'd GIVE ya if you lived nearby.

If you stay with the vent hose/fan arrangement, consider using non-flexible (rigid) metal venting....easier clean-up, better air movement, and lower fire risk if you're venting the gas grill, (spelled: grease laden vapor producing!).

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

owrstrich

the bs smokes enough to set off a hotel room fire alarm within a few seconds while the pucks are burning...

even after all the pucks are burned and you are 12hrs into a smoke it is still smoking enough to set off a hotel fire alarm within a couple dozen seconds...

that is why i use a 20" box fan... to ventilate the bs and the room of any residule smoke and odor...

please consider this... i learned to put a bend in my vent hose... kinda like a trap... after a 15hr smoke there is a 1/2gal of liguid in the trap... i even cover the window ledge with paper towels to collect
moisture as it hits the fan... amazing how much liquid is collected and how much goes out the window too...

a box fan isnt the answer for you because its a mobile set-up... but the vent trap is essential or the ligiud will likely flood the top of your bs... my bs got flooded the first few smokes but not after making the bend...

i think you should think about the motor beacuse the way i do it is the smoke never goes over the electric motor... the way you are thinking doing is that the smoke will go over the electric motor... i think there is so much moisture it would damage the motor unless it was a special motor...

did i mention ftc really freaks me out...

more without prejudice later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />the bs smokes enough to set off a hotel room fire alarm within a few seconds while the pucks are burning...

even after all the pucks are burned and you are 12hrs into a smoke it is still smoking enough to set off a hotel fire alarm within a couple dozen seconds...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Why do I have the strange feeling this comes from the voice of experience?[:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />the bs smokes enough to set off a hotel room fire alarm within a few seconds while the pucks are burning...

even after all the pucks are burned and you are 12hrs into a smoke it is still smoking enough to set off a hotel fire alarm within a couple dozen seconds...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Why do I have the strange feeling this comes from the voice of experience?[:D][:D][:D]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Was thinking the same thing.....you sound like job security for all my firefighter buddies, Owrstrich....[:D][;)][:D]  Sounds like a great "rest of the story" to be told there![;)]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

I'll try to get to the bottom of it over a couple of barleywaters in May![;)]

Kirk

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Well this has evolved even futher. The table and hood will long enough now to set up the smoker and two grill, with a work station to the left. Next on the other side of the garage I'm going to put my grinder, mixer, stuffer, and food slicer. Add a small hand washing sink. There is already a 25 cubic foot frig out there!

As far as fire in a motor etc. the NuTone I will be using are made for going over a stove/ oven. Keeping them clean will be easy.

As far as using resturant equipment this house was built in the 1950's and it has only a single car garage, so spacing is a problem. I have a total of 36 inches on each side to work with so I will have to have everything made. I have also decided to go with 3 NuTone fans. That will give me a total of 1,650 cubic feet per minute which will be more than enough for my needs.

nsxbill

The other consideration is a Kitchen hood...sold all the time on Ebay.  I bought a 48" Viking hood and fan to mount in my covered patio outside off for cheap - less than $200.  I have yet to install it, but I think it will work well.  When I close off the patio to the elements completely, I also plan on roasting coffee under the hood, and nothing puts out more smoke than a coffee roaster!  It has a built in fan, but if I need more exhaust fan,  inline 6" fans available to put inside any duct work.  

Check this one out on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20712&item=3876841358&rd=1

You are a busy guy.  This might work out for you and save a boat load of time.  This one is stainless but available in almond or white for garage decorator decor! [:D][:D]  Has lights built in and everything.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ChefBill

Olds,
Consider using all <u>Aluminum 4" flexible "Dryer" duct </u>for your exit pipe. I've used it for everything around the house and shop. Once you bend it into the shape you want it pretty well stays put.
A <u>"COMPUTER COOLING FAN"</u> just a thought....

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it