Is my smoker heating element working?

Started by mcalpin1, August 29, 2009, 10:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcalpin1

I've had my new SS smoker for a month and since day one the power button on the smoker hasn't turned on.  I don't know if the heat is being generated from the element within the smoker or if it's from the heat generated from the  Bisquettes burning.  Yes, I have the wires pluged into both ends.

I've placed my had over the elements, but I don't know if it's on or off.

If could try and place a voltage meter and see if it has juice, but I'm just asking to learn.

Wildcat

If you grab ahold of the bisquette burner (smoke generator) and do the same with the heating element at the back of your box, with everything turned on and plugged in - if it is working you will know it!  ;D Seriously, you should be able to feel a lot of heat. With regard to the heating element, it should glow and if you do not let too much light in you should see it. The smoke gererator will make the wood smoke if it is heating properly.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mcalpin1

The smoker element is working.. I just wonder about the heating element on the back wall.   Ok.. I will look and I know crank it to full.     I will find something to see if it burns.

Wildcat

It should glow red. It should also produce a lot of heat. If it is not, unplug everything and then plug everything back in. Sometimes the plugs do not seat well when new. Wiggle them.

mcalpin1

Well.. dang.. did a circuit test on the wire from the smoker unit to the main smoke box and it works.  This means the heating element is broken.  I did touch it with the switch to the far right.  I can touch it.

Up set... now I hope the one year warranty will work.  It's only a two weeks old.

Wildcat

Bradley has just about the best customer service anyone has seen since the mid 1900's. Contact them.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: mcalpin1 on August 29, 2009, 11:21:14 AM
Well.. dang.. did a circuit test on the wire from the smoker unit to the main smoke box and it works.  This means the heating element is broken.  I did touch it with the switch to the far right.  I can touch it.

Up set... now I hope the one year warranty will work.  It's only a two weeks old.
You should have no problems getting it replaced. Call'em up.
Mike

Mr Walleye

mcalpin1

Sorry to hear about your problem, certainly Bradley will look after you as the other have indicated their customer service is 2nd to none.

There are a couple of things it could be... bad heating element... bad temp slider circuit board... high limit cut off.

You can check the heating element by removing it and checking it for continuity. It is fairly easy to remove, just make sure you unplug the unit from the power source first. Just 2 screws in each end cap. I would disconnect the wires on the ends as I'm not sure but with them connected it could give you a false reading.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi mcalpin1

If you can test the heat element for continuity as Mike has described and let me know what you find.

Give me a call on Monday at the office and I will get you fixed up

Brian

mcalpin1

After my last thread post, I just took it back to the store.  After a long line wait, I replaced the 4 rack stainless with a 6 rack digital.  Cost me another $200.  The store told me that Bradley has discontinue the 4 rack Stainless.

Now I can see the heat.  The positive issue with this.. when everyone entered the store, all they could smell was the smoker.  When the attendent asked the department manager what to do with the smoker, he stated' "Leave it hear, it smells better than our store and it will give the buyers a good vib."

Off to get 4-6 salmon today to try a working smoker versus just letting the smoke cure the fish.

Mr Walleye

Glad your up and smokin' mcalpin1!

Keep us posted on your smokin' projects.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

Glad to here your at full power and smoking again

begolf25

Quote from: mcalpin1 on August 30, 2009, 08:04:29 AM
Cost me another $200.  The store told me that Bradley has discontinue the 4 rack Stainless.

Haven't had any indications from Bradley that they are discontinuing the Stainless Steel. I don't think that is the case.

Bryan

mcalpin1

My second Bradley 6 Rack SS Digital heating element is failing....  Dang.. why wont these elements work correctly.  I will inspect it in more detail.  Is the there any circuit boards on the smoker or is it only on the digital control box?

Mcalpin1

classicrockgriller

Now that's just crazy!

Are you using an extention cord to plug yor Bradley up?