WTS Brisket w/ Carolina mustard sauce rub

Started by squirtthecat, August 30, 2009, 10:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

1/2 with Carolina sauce, 1/2 with CYM and some 'Hunters Blend' seasoning:

4 hours of hickory, another 2 hours, then into a tightly covered pan w/ a few glugs of the beer I was drinking.  I left it in the smoker overnight at around 190 degrees. (give or take - got really cold last night)

Took it out at 9 this morning and put the pan in my roaster over at 200 degrees.   Got home from church and opened it up just before Noon:

Made some great sammies! 

The pan juices are in the fridge cooling off, so I can separate the fat.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Yeah, I'm real happy with the results..   I might take it past 190IT next time, I think this was 185 or so when I opened it up.  There was still a small vein of fat running through it.

To be honest, I really can't tell the difference between the peppery Carolina mustard side and the CYM side.  It's equally good.

I just vacuum sealed it, and we'll have it again tomorrow night for dinner.  Should be even better after it has sat for a while.

mikecorn.1

Mike

Hopefull Romantic

Nice job there Squirt.

Since I have joined this forum I have always been intimidated to smoke a brisket and even thought of smoking a turkey first. But now and soon as I get back home from my business trip I am going to memorize WTS way and do it. This time I will post the pics as I bought a new digital camera from the duty free shop.

HR 
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 30, 2009, 03:35:23 PM
Nice job there Squirt.

Since I have joined this forum I have always been intimidated to smoke a brisket and even thought of smoking a turkey first. But now and soon as I get back home from my business trip I am going to memorize WTS way and do it. This time I will post the pics as I bought a new digital camera from the duty free shop.

HR 

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I was a bit nervous about this as well, as a big brisket is not cheap.  But it turned out great.  In fact, I was at the store today and saw another brisket marked down ($2.25 a pound!)because it has to be sold in the next 10 days.  Nevertheless, it's mine..  (resting in the freezer for now)

Next weekend is a holiday here in the US, and I'm going to do that brisket, and maybe some ribs.

Follow the WTS directions to the letter, and you won't be disappointed.

What would everyone recommend for a nice roast for 'smoked sliced roast beef'?  Arm roast/shoulder roast/tri-tip?

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 30, 2009, 05:33:12 PM
What would everyone recommend for a nice roast for 'smoked sliced roast beef'?  Arm roast/shoulder roast/tri-tip?

I did a sirloin roast - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11005.0

I would also try a top or bottom round.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Hi squirtthecat;

Top loin is not cheap, but it makes a great smoked roast for slicing. Next day sandwiches are better then any roast beef sandwich I had ever had.

Smoked Top Loin

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Thanks guys!  I found those 2 threads and bookmarked them last night.   I'll just have to see what the market has on special one of these days and try it out.

Too bad I don't have something to give a go today - I have to report for jury duty in a couple hours.  I could have the OBS running off of an inverter in my trunk in the parking lot.  ;D

OU812

Looks good squirtthecat

Dont through thouse juices away  ;D

pensrock

Looks great squirt. I would have jumped on that $2.25 brisket all day long.  :D
I can't find any for under $5.00/lb. Needless to say I have not made brisket for about a year now.  :'(
pens

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 31, 2009, 04:35:48 AM

Thanks guys!  I found those 2 threads and bookmarked them last night.   I'll just have to see what the market has on special one of these days and try it out.

Too bad I don't have something to give a go today - I have to report for jury duty in a couple hours.  I could have the OBS running off of an inverter in my trunk in the parking lot.  ;D

Back when I was in the States, a friend of mine told me that every time he was summoned for Jury duty he would take a piece of yarn with him and while waiting to be picked (or not) he would keep making nooses out of the yarn he has. Needless to say no defense lawyer ever picked him. Just a thought Squirt.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

rdevous

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 31, 2009, 10:55:42 AM

Back when I was in the States, a friend of mine told me that every time he was summoned for Jury duty he would take a piece of yarn with him and while waiting to be picked (or not) he would keep making nooses out of the yarn he has. Needless to say no defense lawyer ever picked him. Just a thought Squirt.

HR

HR..................That'll get a defense lawyer's attention!!!  I will remember that...should I need it!!!   ;D

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!