Smoked Turkey for Thanksgiving

Started by dbrown1, August 30, 2009, 11:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown1

Was wondering if anyone had recipe suggestions for  SmokedThanksgiving Turkey will be my first bird in the Bradley so figured I should probably ask...Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

FLBentRider

I use Alton Brown's smoked turkey recipe.

If I were you, I would do a "test" one now, to see how it comes out and that way you know what to expect come Thanksgiving.

I hardly ever try "untested" recipes on major holidays. Too much pressure.

Here's the recipe I use - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/honey-brined-smoked-turkey-recipe2/index.html

Watch the IT and don't overcook it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Another option is to cold-smoke the bird and then oven roast or fry it in an infrared turkey fryer (like The Big Easy).  Best of both worlds (and skin you can eat).

dbrown1

Hmmm so if I were to rty the cold smoke approach (sounds less likely to fail) then what would you suggest as far as time, seasoning ?

Ka Honu

As I recall, I brined the last one overnight, then added a Cajun rub (less the salt), and cold-smoked for 3 hours using pecan.  Then into TBE until I got the IT I wanted.  The smoke taste isn't as prevalent as it would be if you hot-smoked, but there should be enough there to add a nice touch to the bird.

mikecorn.1

Good luck on the turkey, if ya do a trial run, let us know how it came out.
Mike

Scotty-G

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 30, 2009, 12:04:07 PM
If I were you, I would do a "test" one now, to see how it comes out and that way you know what to expect come Thanksgiving.

That's some good advice...

Here's a post of something I tried last year:
Turkey 5-Ways

Doing the n-Way trial early also gives you and the family a comparative idea early.  Best of luck.  Let us know what you wind up doing and how it comes out.

If you don't have a big easy can compare oven & grill, w/ & w/o cold smoke, and hot smoke.  Then come the options - brining?, injecting?, dry rubbing, oil frying, etc.  Experiment, have some fun and as AB says it "Have some Good Eats"  :D

Scotty-G

OU812

As FBL said you dont want to do a " untested" recipe for the holidays

What works for me is to hot smoke the turkey at a cabnet temp of 220 F with  3 hr Apple or Alder when the smoke is done then finish in the oven uncovered or in a turkey fryer like TBE till the IT hits 160

The oven or fryer will make the skin nice and crispy, if you finish in the smoker the skin will like eating a piece of rubber

I dont brine because i like the turkey taste but i do inject with some Creole butter to help keep the bird moist

Find what sounds good to you and do a trial run to see if it passes with the family and or fiends then build from that

Good luck and keep us posted

dbrown1

Thanks for all of the advice, will grab a Turkey and give it a shot. I will be sure to let you know how it turned out.
(crossing fingers)