Smoking a bunch of 'stuff'

Started by ArnieM, August 31, 2009, 09:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I'm new here and apologize if this is the wrong forum. 

I just bought myself an OBS for my birthday  :D  I plan on smoking up some stuff this weekend (06 Sept).  The stuff includes a chicken or two, brined and halved, a couple slabs of ribs and maybe a Boston butt, also brined (pulled pork).  My question is, how do you do all that stuff in the smoker at once (assuming it all fits)  ???  Butt first for 10+ hours?  Which racks would you put the chicken, ribs and butt on?  How would you stage all this stuff so that it's all done about the same time?

I've smoked before on a Weber and even on a gas grill, but that was one thing at a time.  Now, with the OBS, I guess I'm going a little nuts - maybe too much?  Suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.

-- Arnie
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

rdevous

Arnie,

I would place anything with bacon over anything you want to flavor with the fat drippings.  The butt, ribs or chicken would all be improved with the drippings!!!  A nice bacon weaved stuffed fattie..............I just make myself hungry..... ;D.....like that's hard for us!!!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum ArnieM!

You can get to our recipe site by clicking on the ribs at the bottom of this post.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there ArnieM and welcome to the forum.

Obviously, you would start with the stuff that would lake longer like the butt and the ribs. You place those on the lower rack where there is more heat. As you progress, I would rotate the racks as to move these two higher up and place the chicken on the lower ones. The only think that I am not sure of and you may need the more experienced smokers for it is how to sort out your smoking periods. I believe the butt would require 3 hours of smoke plus 6 - 7 without where at the last 2 - 3 hours you would introduce the chicken and smoke them.

I am pretty sure that those guys should be coming along soon and I am sure they would have something to say about that.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. You need to go by IT instead of time. I usually apply 4 hours of smoke to the pork butts. chicken to 160. and ribs till you see them pulled back from the bones at the end.
Mike

Tenpoint5

As Mike stated it is more about the IT than time. If you want a general idea of what the times are. I would say 16-18 hours for the Butt, 6 hours for the Ribs, and about 2-4 hours for the chicken.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Thanks to everyone for your gracious welcome and your input.  I'm beginning to think I might be biting off more than I can smoke here.  The smoke and cook times vary widely across the 'stuff' I wanted to smoke.  Maybe I'll leave the chicken for another time.  I wanted to try the chicken with apple wood.  I figure the pork would go better with hickory.  So, maybe I'm looking at a bit too much of a mixed grill. 

As far as IT goes ...  I usually do chicken at 160/180 for breast/thigh if I can get it to those temps.  I understand about the rib meat pulling back from the bones.  I did baby backs on the gas grill (boo!) a couple of weeks ago with an overnight rub and a vinegar based mop.  They came out pretty well though the problem with the gas grill is getting it hot enough to generate smoke but cool enough for a slow cook. 

So, maybe I'll try this and, as always, your comments will be appreciated.  Cancel the chicken and use hickory.  Put the ribs and Butt in at the same time and smoke for about 3 hours.  Pull the ribs.  Cook the Butt for about another 6 hours (no smoke), then put the ribs back in.  Cook until the meat starts to pull back from the bone.  Remove the Butt, wrap it in tinfoil and let is set a spell.  Serve both together when the ribs are done.

I'll be looking through the recipes and I thank you all for your contributions to me and to the board.
-- Arnie

KyNola

Hey Arnie,
Welcome aboard my friend.  I think you are making the right decision to do the chicken later as that was going to be a pretty big undertaking!  You still have potential for a timing issue even with doing just the ribs and the butt.  With the ribs you pretty much depend on them being done in 5-6 hours depending on what kind of rib you are using, meaning baby backs vs. a spare rib.  A butt simply cannot be predicted as easily.  Depending on the size of the butt and the temp you're going to smoke/cook it at and the time the butt spends in the "stall period", you can easily be talking about 16-18 hours for the butt.  I agree about the 3 hours of smoke on the ribs but I would use 4 hours on the butt.  One possible solution is to start the ribs in the smoker with the butt.  After 3 hours of smoke, wrap the ribs in foil and move them to your house oven and complete the cooking there at 225.  When they are finished to your liking, wrap them in foil, and store them in the frig and reheat when time to eat.  As for having pulled pork with the butt, it's all about the IT.  Many of us think 185 is the minimum IT for a butt for it to pull properly.  Some of us go even higher, closer to 195-200.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just more info for you to ponder.  Have fun and let us know how it goes.

KyNola

ArnieM

Hey Arnie,
Welcome aboard my friend. 

Hi KyNola and thanks.

I think you are making the right decision to do the chicken later as that was going to be a pretty big undertaking!  You still have potential for a timing issue even with doing just the ribs and the butt.  With the ribs you pretty much depend on them being done in 5-6 hours depending on what kind of rib you are using, meaning baby backs vs. a spare rib.  A butt simply cannot be predicted as easily.  Depending on the size of the butt and the temp you're going to smoke/cook it at and the time the butt spends in the "stall period", you can easily be talking about 16-18 hours for the butt.  I agree about the 3 hours of smoke on the ribs but I would use 4 hours on the butt.  One possible solution is to start the ribs in the smoker with the butt.  After 3 hours of smoke, wrap the ribs in foil and move them to your house oven and complete the cooking there at 225. 

That sounds like a good idea.  My electric oven has a slow cook low/high mode.  Low is about 220, high is closer to 270.

When they are finished to your liking, wrap them in foil, and store them in the frig and reheat when time to eat.  As for having pulled pork with the butt, it's all about the IT.  Many of us think 185 is the minimum IT for a butt for it to pull properly.  Some of us go even higher, closer to 195-200.

I think I'll shoot for 185-190 and see how it pulls.  I'm sure the weight and cut count some there and will take a bit of experimenting.  I've found that documenting one's successes and failures helps one to improve over time.  "Whatever doesn't kill us will make us stronger!"

Not trying to tell you what to do, just more info for you to ponder.  Have fun and let us know how it goes.

I appreciate input and constructive criticism.  'Pondering' and experimenting is the most fun.  I'm hot to use my new smoker but I think I have to reign in my ambitions somewhat.  Well, cooler weather is coming soon, so HERE COMES THE CHEESE!

KyNola
[/quote]
-- Arnie

OU812

What KyNola has said is great info

My two sense here

Start the butt 6:00 PM on the night b4 you want the ribs, smoke the butt 4 hr with your wood of choice (Pecan) with the cabnet temp at 220 F then after the smoke dump and refill the drip pan with hot water and put a foil roasting pan with about 12 oz of the fluid of your choice (beer) under the butt to catch all the drippings, reset the timer if you have the digital next get your ribs all slathered and rubbed down then wrap in plastic put in fridge and go to bed.
In the morning check the timer if you have one, refill the drip pan with hot water stab a thermometer in the butt  leave the butt and foil pan in. At 6:00 AM pull the ribs out of the fridge un wrap and let rest at room temp at least 1 hr set the smoker up for another smoke this time for 3 hr smoke and place the ribs in and cook till the meat pulls back from the bone. If the butt is done
(i dout it) b4 the ribs FTC till the ribs are done. If every thing goes like it should you be eating around noon. But thats just what what works for me.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on September 01, 2009, 03:50:53 PM
What KyNola has said is great info

Agreed.  My comments and questions are inline.

My two sense here

Start the butt 6:00 PM on the night b4 you want the ribs,

I'm looking for dinner around 4-6 PM the following day, so I figure on starting around 10 PM.

smoke the butt 4 hr with your wood of choice (Pecan)

I have to go with hickory.  I ordered that and apple along with the smoker from amazon.  I have the smoker, but the 'wood' is still out there somewhere with the USPS.

with the cabnet temp at 220 F then after the smoke dump and refill the drip pan with hot water and put a foil roasting pan with about 12 oz of the fluid of your choice (beer)

I can go with the beer - bourbon costs a bit too much  ;D

under the butt to catch all the drippings, reset the timer if you have the digital next get your ribs all slathered and rubbed down then wrap in plastic put in fridge and go to bed.
In the morning check the timer if you have one, refill the drip pan with hot water stab a thermometer in the butt  leave the butt and foil pan in. At 6:00 AM pull the ribs out of the fridge un wrap and let rest at room temp at least 1 hr set the smoker up for another smoke this time for 3 hr smoke and place the ribs in and cook till the meat pulls back from the bone. If the butt is done
(i dout it) b4 the ribs FTC

Sorry, new here - what's FTC?  All in all, this looks like a pretty good plan.  I still have some frozen hot dogs if this fails.

till the ribs are done. If every thing goes like it should you be eating around noon. But thats just what what works for me.
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

OU812's info is spot on as well.  The most helpful info here is there are several different ways you can accomplish what you need to do.  As you can see, the info I gave you and the info OU812 gave you is essentially the same thing, just reversed.

Have fun and let us know what your family and friends think about the fabulous food you are going to serve them and then just sit back with a cold one in hand, take in all of the accolades, smile and don't forget to tell them how hard it was to accomplish such a feat.  And for God's sake, don't break the vow and tell them how simple it actually is! :D

KyNola

Edited to actually make sense!--KyNola

ArnieM

Thanks to FLBentRider for the link.  It was very helpful and prevent me from posting the same old questions over and over again.

Thanks to KyNola and OU812 for the advice and encouragement.

I figure I'll be telling our guests that I was up all night tending the smoker.  But, I'm willing to sacrifice my sleep just to make them a good meal  ;D
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

Quote from: ArnieM on September 02, 2009, 08:19:53 AM
I figure I'll be telling our guests that I was up all night tending the smoker.  But, I'm willing to sacrifice my sleep just to make them a good meal  ;D

Now you're getting it!

8) 8)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!