Cooling element?

Started by dannyd, September 02, 2009, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 02, 2009, 02:15:55 PM
Apparently the coleman units used to use a stirling cooler.  Coleman's site does not list any parts available - link to the people who probably made the unit http://www.globalcooling.nl/products.html

The new units are "thermoelectric".  on the parts list of some of the units they list a module repair kit for $63 - don't know if that is the "thermoelectric"cooling device or not.

I wish I would have kept mine...  It was an odd (and very small) looking contraption w/ a small fan.  It's the fan motor that burned out on me.   Worked great for a couple years.   It didn't keep things 'ice cold', but it was cold enough to stash bottles of water and soda in at the office.

squirtthecat

Quote from: dannyd on September 02, 2009, 02:30:27 PM
Damn , nice! A look to look into and look up, thanks fellars!
I just got an idea, what do you guys thing about draping the water tubes for a PC water cooler (for example) in the chamber?

PC/CPU coolers...   Now you are talking hard core geek-cooker stuff.   I don't see what that wouldn't work, run the tubed down through the vent and coil around, and have the external pump and chiller mechanism outside of the Bradley.

dannyd

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 02, 2009, 04:25:49 PM

PC/CPU coolers...   Now you are talking hard core geek-cooker stuff.   I don't see what that wouldn't work, run the tubed down through the vent and coil around, and have the external pump and chiller mechanism outside of the Bradley.

Hehehe yeah my brother was getting pretty annoyed by his extra loud PC fan so decided to look into them.

squirtthecat

Quote from: dannyd on September 02, 2009, 04:44:31 PM
Hehehe yeah my brother was getting pretty annoyed by his extra loud PC fan so decided to look into them.

Is his box (CPU/video card) overclocked?  Or just generally 'loud'?   

In concept, this could work great in the Bradley...   Coils of externally chilled fluid keeping the cabinet temps down, while allowing the smoke to do it's thing.

Almost like a smoker + still combination!

dannyd

Its not overclocked, he's just overprotective of his processors and VGA card lol!
I'm thinking the water PC cooler might be the one to try. Not sure how £££ they cost, ill have to  do some research. Perhaps i can find a cheapo one on e bay  ;D

Bass Cadet

I had a similar idea but ended up using an electronic wine cellar (found it on an auction site for <$20). Bradley smoke generator to cardboard box to electronic wine cellar to Bradley smoker. I did buy a thermoelectric cooler (TEC) and cold plate and planned on mounting the TEC to the cold plate and pumping in cold water.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9938.0

Up In Smoke

Danny,
you raise a good question, and caney hit well on it.
you brought to mind the units that ford motor company uses to heat and cool the front seats in some models.
it is a thermoelectric emiting device or TED. voltage applied one way creates heat, reverse polarity and it cools off.
some of the new units are all self contained......HHMMMMM i wonder if there is a way to adapt one of those puppies?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.