1 Puck = How many wood chips?

Started by Lambo, September 02, 2009, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lambo

Hi Folks,

I purchased a new 4 rack Bradley last month.  I've smoked 5 different items and continue to learn.  Brisket, chicken (twice), prime rib and pork loin.  It's not perfect but I'm confident that I will improve.

Many recipes out there use wod chips.  Has anyone ever calculated the conversion of wood chips to pucks? Is it simply weight?

Happy to see this pretty informative forum for Brdley users!

Cheers,
Andre

KyNola

Andre,
First of all welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Bradley purchase.  I don't think there is any possible way to compute how many wood chips equate to one Bradley puck.  Too many variables and honestly it serves no purpose.  The one thing you need to know is the Bradley produces a much cleaner pure smoke.  So where you may have to smoke a pork butt with wood chips the entire you have it in a smoker with wood chips cooking it low and slow, the smoke time in a Bradley is only 4 hours for many of us.  The rest of the time is just cooking it.

Understand that if you are accustomed to smoking in a stick burner or a smoker/grill that utilizes loose wood chips, you may have a learning curve with the Bradley.  The good news is you found the right place to be to assist you with the learning curve.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Lambo and welcome to the Bradley family.

I am with Ky and CCG on this one and just would like to add that you should go by smoking time. I am sure you already know by now that each of the Bradley pucks would burn on an average in 20 minutes (3 / hour). So if your recipe should say to use wood chip and smoke for 4 hours (using Ky's pork butt example) then you use 12 Bradley pucks (4x3). As you would need that 12Th puck to advance to the burner, you are going to need at least 2 more pucks to have it do that. Therefore, I recommend that you get Babba pucks (at least 2 or three) they would save you money on the Bradley bisquettes on the long run.

Again welcome and good luck.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Lambo!

If you haven't found our recipe site if you click on the ribs on the bottom of this post, it should take you there.

Lots of good people and info here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum, you are in the right place to have all you questions answered.
Mike

muzzletim

Welcome to the forum!  Enjoy your new Bradley! Lots of adventure and fun in your future!
Tim

pkcdirect

Welcome Lambo, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Paul

Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

OU812