OK, I'm trying to calm down some ...

Started by ArnieM, September 02, 2009, 08:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

See my first post, probably a bit overboard.  I really appreciate all of the advice and help.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11364.0

Note:  I'll be using the OBS (seriously) for the first time this weekend.

First, I got 3 racks of spare ribs a few weeks ago for $1.49 a pound.  I figure I'll just do those with a nice rub.  Now, I have a couple of questions.

It seems a lot of people think ribs should be sticky with sauce.  What do you do?  Smoke/cook/oven with sauce?  I did my last (on the grill) baby backs with a vinegar mop and they came out pretty good.  I'd appreciate your opinions here.

I'm going to try out the OBS for the first time tomorrow night (experiment).  I have a couple of split chicken breasts and figure on using apple.  I also have a few green bell peppers and zucchini.  I'd like to do them all in the smoker.  Would it be better to put the chicken on a lower rack with the veggies above?  I figured on 1.5 - 2 hours of smoke for the whole thing, and then cooking the chicken breast to 160. 

Any and all tips on this would be GREATLY appreciated.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Arnie,
Nothing magic about sauce on ribs.  It's a matter of wet or dry.  Some folks love their ribs sticky with sauce.  Some folks love ribs dry with just the rub.  Still others love the ribs dry but with the sauce served on the side for dipping.

As for the chicken with the vegetables, by all means put the chicken below everything else in the smoker.  You don't want the chicken dripping chicken juices on the veggies due to potential cross contamination.  Also, remember to keep the vent full open with poultry.  You need the moisture from the chicken to escape.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

about the zuchinni...read some of the post on it...mixed reviews...greetings and g/l

FLBentRider

Serve your ribs the way you like.

Sauce belongs on the side in my house.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

I usually do some with sauce and some without. I would keep the chicken at the bottom. 2 hours is good for smoke. apple is not real strong in flavor. i usually like to do chicken with pecan or mesquite. you get a stronger flavor. Keep the vent fully open with poultry. Always cook meat to temp and not by time. I like to use a maverick et-73 to monitor the meat and tower temp. you can also set alarms on it to you know when you hit the 160*.
Mike

Hopefull Romantic

My kids force me to have all condiments on the side.

For yours truly, I love to have it on my meat, hand and all the way down to my elbows.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

Hi all,

Once again, thanks for all of the helpful input - a bunch of nice people here.  I will have to learn to keep my posted questions to a single subject to avoid confusion  ;)

Chicken, peppers and zucchini - I have to keep in mind that this is a smoker, not a grill.  I'll do the zucchini with a little oil and rub on the grill and the same for the peppers with just a little oil.  I'm going to start a preheat on the OBS for the chicken shortly.

Ribs - thanks for the comments.  My younger daughter (32) has to avoid certain food elements so I figure I'll do a fairly simple rub the day before and then do sauce on the side.  I've never done ribs that way before, but at least my daughter can avoid the sauce if I make it 'good'.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Sounds like your on the right track with the chicken and veggies

I do the ribs with a light brushing of sauce right after i take them out of the foil and let it set, the rest of the sauce is on the side.

I like Alder on chicken and Pecan on ribs