Watch for stuck bisquettes

Started by ArnieM, September 03, 2009, 12:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

This post is probably mode useful for new people.

My first smoke.  I preheated the tower and SG for 20-25 minutes.  I loaded up 7 bisquettes figuring on about 1:20 of smoke time.  I pressed the advance three times, letting it cycle completely.  I poured a glass of wine and sat back to see what the apple smoke was like - no smoke. 

It turned out one bisquette was stuck, so whey wouldn't feed.  Tapping the stack lightly solved the problem.  I may not have had this problem if I had used more bisquette$ or a couple of bubba pucks (I don't have any yet and they seem danged expensive).  Also, maybe rubbing around the edges to smooth them out would have helped.

Has anyone else had this problem? 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: ArnieM on September 03, 2009, 12:58:51 PM

It turned out one bisquette was stuck, so whey wouldn't feed.  Tapping the stack lightly solved the problem.  I may not have had this problem if I had used more bisquette$ or a couple of bubba pucks (I don't have any yet and they seem danged expensive).  Also, maybe rubbing around the edges to smooth them out would have helped.

This could have been caused by not having the bisquette feeder tube pushed down all the way to its stop.

mikecorn.1

This post is probably mode useful for new people.

My first smoke.  I preheated the tower and SG for 20-25 minutes.  I loaded up 7 bisquettes figuring on about 1:20 of smoke time.  I pressed the advance three times, letting it cycle completely.  I poured a glass of wine and sat back to see what the apple smoke was like - no smoke. 

Never had this problem, I just make sure that the feeder tube is in all the way. I have done less pucks and never a problem even with out bubba pucks when i first got my smoker.
Mike

ArnieM

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on September 03, 2009, 02:02:58 PM

This could have been caused by not having the bisquette feeder tube pushed down all the way to its stop.

Thanks for your reply.  The feeder tube wasn't the problem.  There was one bisquette just hung up a bit.  A tap solved it and the rest fed normally with one more push of the 'feed' button.

I did split chicken breasts wit a mild rub and apple.  My wife loved them.  I also did the following, almost a recipe:
Preheat a small (7 inch) cast iron fry pan in the oven to about 300F.
- Cut up a medium Vidalia onion into this wedges.
- Slice up some baby bella mushrooms.
- Thin slice a large clove of garlic.
- Put all of this into a bowl.  Add about 2-3 TBS EVOO, fresh ground salt and pepper.  Add any spices you're fond of and hand toss.
- Add all of this stuff to the preheated pan and quickly put on to the second rack (from the top) of the OBS.  The other racks were busy.

The mass of the cast iron pan helps to keep the heat up.  The cook time really depends on what else is cooking.  Mine went for about 1.5 - 2 hours. 

Remove your main meal to rest if you wish.  Put the pan of 'stuff' on a medium stove burner with about a TBS of unsalted butter.  Stir until the onions are the way you like them.

I don't actually do "recipes".  It's likely I've never made quite the same thing twice.  But, if you know your spices, how they taste and how they might combine - well, you're off to a great start.

-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Arnie, your almost recipe sounds good, thanks for sharing. Sounds like your off to a good start and with your wife loving it, you have going good! By the way, welcome to the forum and make sure to check out the recipe site. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/
HawkeyeSmokes

seagravedriver

It happened to me once, maybe twice.  I think someone said it right, the tube in the feeder was not down all the way.  The pucks were just slightly resting on the side of the feeder and just stayed there.  It has not done it since, as I make sure it is down tight, and I look at it every now and again for the first few hours. 

Habanero Smoker

This happens to me on occasion, but now I generally catch it during loading. I keep my smoker outdoors 24/7, and the inside of my tube gets dirty over time. When loading the bisquettes there are times they will not drop in flat, and this can cause it to jam when it is feeding. I find occasionally cleaning the tube, and being more careful loading the bisquettes helps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

I use mywife's hair dryer to blow out any debrie in the smoke generator and ashes in the tower. Careful loading of wood is also a plus.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

HR,

First of all, NEVER use your wife's hair dryer.  I used my wife's to dry out a window sill I had to repair.  She said I broke it and it cost me $150 to get a new one with dilithium crystals and a diamond studded handle!

Anyway, here's an update on the chicken I did with a couple of pix.  I did the breasts a little over 160.  It's difficult to get a good reading on them beacuse they're thin.  The wood probably cost more than the chicken, but as I indicated previously, they came out real good. 

I'm doing plain old spare ribs tomorrow (about 13 pounds) for my first 'major' smoke on the OBS.  I'll get back with some pictures and commentary on Monday or Tuesday.

-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Hey there ArnieM

Thank alot for what you said about using your wife's hair dryer. My wife read your post and insists now that her hairdryer is broken and she wants one like you got your wife.

Geeeeeez I knew there was a downside for this forum.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tiny Tim

HR...HR...HR...you broke the Cardinal Rule of this forum.  Never, and I repeat, never, let your spouse read the forum (Ladies, I like you posting here, that's why I said spouse and not wife)...it cost Iceman a bunch of Carrots..er carats. :D