Texas style brisket (A rant, an opinion, or some other kind of animal)

Started by JGW, September 02, 2009, 08:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGW

Wow.  Ok, I guess the 'throw down' is on.   ;D 

I just happen to have a brisket in the fridge :D  Store didn't have my preferred size or cut, but we'll make do with what I could get. 

I think Labor Day slimmed down the selection.

For me, Saturday will be "Smoke On" Day.  I'll take some pics along the way and post the final result.

squirtthecat

Good luck, kid!

A motivational movie quote, to cheer on the underdog..

You're gonna eat lightnin' and you're gonna crap thunder!

HawkeyeSmokes

I can hear it now, listen!
HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

It just dawned on me.  JGW has owned his OBS for exactly one day.  Since I'm the guy who started this, it seems to me that it's unfair to thrust JGW into this using equipment that he is totally unaccustomed to using.  I think it's only right to allow JGW the opportunity to learn how his OBS works as it is totally different to his charcoal burner.  JGW, say the word and we'll postpone the Throwdown until you've had the chance to work with your OBS for a while.  I know WTS would want a fair competition as well.

Tell you what, let's postpone the Throwdown for a month or so and then I'll call the contenders to the ring for the first ever Texas Style Brisket Throwdown.

JGW, you're a good sport.  I threw you right in the fire before I remembered you had just got your OBS and you responded admirably so stay tuned.  Unless of course you say it's game on and we'll go now.  Let us know your preference.

KyNola

JGW

Nah, let's do it.  I've been cooking Briskets for years now.   ;)  Some better than others, but all very edible.    :D

I may not get the results I want due to inexperience with the equipment, but the basic concepts remain the same.  I do appreciate the offer, but I'm eager to fire this baby up.  Smoking some ribs tomorrow, so I think I'll get a feel for the OBS enough to do the brisket.

Regardless of the winner - Me and WTS will be doing BBQ, drinking beer, telling lies and having fun (That's my plan for the weekend, anyway).  :D

I've already decided to use a basic Dalmatian rub - perhaps with a bit of paprika and garlic powder to kick it.  Since I alluded to it in the first post, I'll stick with the basics.

Planning on rubbing the meat tomorrow, letting it set overnight (in the fridge, of course), smoking it @ 205-215 or so for about 1.25 to 1.50 hours per pound, and letting it rest (wrapped in foil, then a towel) for about an hour before slicing.  Hopefully, I won't have any problems keeping those temps with the OBS.

I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to brisket.  It goes on the rack, it comes off to rest, slice it up and it's time to eat.

If anything, it'll let me know the limitations of the OBS.  I'll make adjustments with other stuff down the road.  Just hope my oak bisquettes come in tomorrow, LOL.  If not, I'll be using Hickory and a few SB's to do it.

If WTS had other plans, we best might delay it, but if he's game - I am. 

Jimmy

This is weird...  I'm glued to the computer like it was a UFC title fight..  Maybe pay-per-view brisket cook-offs are the next big thing!!! ;D ;D

classicrockgriller

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Ladies and gentlemen the Throwdown is on!  I'll start a new thread titled Texas Style Brisket Throwdown in this section of the forum.

KyNola

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

I think it is only fair to tell the new guy that he won't need smoke for the whole cook since he wants to leave it in the Bradley since it is his first smoke.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

JGW

10.5 - I'm not planning on using smoke more than 4 hours or so.  I'll see how it goes tonight with the chicken I'm smoking :)

Caneyscud

Been away cooking for a large group of youth for the weekend (including 8 briskets) and just noticed this posting.  JGW from my neck of the woods.  San Antonio, Sequin, and a lot of family in Bandera that own large ranches (20,000 acres of so).  With you on the oak, but hard to find the live oak and post oak I prefer now that I am in Nashville - so usually use oak lump and hickory in my sickburners and oak or hickory pucks in the DBS.  Learned to cook "beef" - not just briskets, watching my hill country ancestors using salt and pepper and beer/mustard mops over open pits fired with post oak along the banks of the Medina River - and/or watching, Dad, Granddad, and Great-Granddad  on their Texas Hibachis with the same salt/pepper rub and beer/mustard mop.  Wish I could have a few hours in the Lockhart pits to learn how they do it over high heat.  

Antithetically, I'm working on a rub that includes coffee, cocoa, and chilis.  Yeh, not traditional and not me, but around here people expect something other than salt and pepper on their meat.  Still some work on it to do, but getting close.  Not really me, but does give a very nice bark, some great juices, a little heat, but also leaves you wondering - what is that flavor? 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"