Texas Style Brisket Throwdown!!!!

Started by KyNola, September 04, 2009, 06:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

In the words of Bobby Flay "Are you ready for a Texas Style Throwdown"?  Both contenders said they are ready so let's go!
In this corner, from Texas, the seasoned veteran of the forum using mesquite W...T...S!! And in this corner, also hailing from Texas, the new kid on the block when it comes to the forum and using oak or hickory J...G...W!!  Both contenders are standing in the center of the patio, smoke already trailing from their Bradley Smokers awaiting the instructions of the competition.  The instructions are very simple.  Prepare your brisket your way, smoke it your way and show us the results.  The rest of us will be the ultimate winners by learning from your various techniques.  If you can, please post pics and narrative of your prep, your smoking/cooking technique and the finished product.  There is no time limit, only that it is done over this holiday weekend.

Good luck and thanks WTS and JGW.

Now, in the words of FLBR with permission from Michael Buffer.........................
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT"SSSSSSSSS GGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT RRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYY TTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOO RRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KyNola

Tenpoint5

JGW will probably get cold feet on this Challenge!! WTS is a seasoned ICB Competitor!! That's OK I still like to see WTS in action cooking Brisket.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

I don't think so Chris.  JGW may have owned his Bradley for only 2 days but I sense this guy is a seasoned vet when it comes to brisket.

Don King, you're just trying to rattle the new guy!   Now, get out of my squared circle.  ;) :D

I think I hear rubs being mixed and knives being sharpened.

Larry

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

Guys,

I believe that both will give their best in this Brisket Throwdown so let give both equal chances so that we can have two ways to learn.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

Good luck and happy smoking to both the contenders

ArnieM

I can't wait to see this!  I'm currently drooling on my keyboard and my mouse is swimming for its life.  Too bad we can't get some of that brisket FEDEX'ed overnight - but I guess that's asking a bit much  :'(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Mr Walleye

This is awesome guys!  8)

I'm impatiently awaiting the results....  :D  :D  ;D

Good luck to both you guys!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

muzzletim

It is going to be fun to see the results, regardless who we vote for! Best of luck to both of you!
Tim

westexasmoker

Ok....Lets get started!

2 packers both right at 11 lbs.

And the fat cap side

Time for a little trimming, the trick here is to not get carried away I try to leave about 1/4 inch of fat.  To trim the fat vein or not, some do, some don't...I'm a doer for a couple reasons. 1 Your not gonna eat it.  2 Makes it more flexible to get in the ziplock (latter) and if its a bit large for your rack you have the flex to work with.

Front trimmed

Vein trimmed

Back trimmed

Same with our partner

Time for a rub down.  I use the Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from the S&S book, its pretty much my goto rub on anything!

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup coarse black pepper
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbls chili powder
2 tbls garlic powder
2 tbls onion powder
2 tsp cayenne (I use 1 tbls)

All rubbed up and happy, don't be shy with your rub cover the entire brisket and massage it in with your fingers...Don't forget about the flap where the fat vein was!

Then folded (reason I remove some of the fat vein) and into a 2 gallon ziplock, you can use your vac-sealer if you can't find the 2 gallon size.  Remove as much air as possible.  And we're off to the fridge for an overnight rest!

Thats all for today, we'll crank back up tomorrow!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

mikecorn.1

So are the pics consired round 1. Looking good so far WTS. Impatiently waiting on more pics.
Mike

JGW

I don't have as many photos, but I'll try and describe what I am doing.

The Brisket:  6LB flat cut.....Choice grade.  Like I said earlier, not my preferred (packer is best), but working with what I could get.  Once this thing came on, I went to Wally World, but all the packers were frozen (BUT at a good price - 18.00 for a 13LBer).  Note - Brisket that is never frozen will give you better results.  I realize most of us have no way of knowing if it's been frozen or not.  Pay the extra for choice over select if you can.  Again, better results.

First of all, the meat:

The fat cap:  (Like WTS said - you want 1/4" or so - trim it if need be)

The Rub:  This is a basic modified "Dalmatian Rub" - In this instance 1/4 cup Kosher Salt and Pepper, with a TBS of Paprika and Garlic Powder.

Now to set it off in the fridge: 

I forgot to show this (and it could be an old wives tale), but BEND your briskets....General rule - if you can touch the ends together it WILL be tender, provided you cooked it low and slow.  I didn't think of it until I applied the rub.  Anyway, here's a shot:

Until tomorrow...BTW WTS - That is some good looking meat.  Cannot wait to see the results.

Greg

westexasmoker

JGW!

I think we must be two brothers from different mothers!   :D   Yep the bend...I always love being in front of the meat case grabbing briskets and give'em the fold (old wives tale or an old man's tale) I still do it, and I believe....Still the best part is when people ask "What are you doing?"   ;D  This is cool....I know there are other brisket cookers out there, why not everybody join in?

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

mikecorn.1

Alright, these two are putting on a clinic. ;D
Mike

JGW

BTW folks - The bend WTS and I are talking about is possible while in the packaging.  If it don't bend, don't buy it.  It's already a fairly tough piece of meat if not cooked correctly - let the know nots grab the stiff ones.