24 Pound Turkey

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 05, 2009, 06:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Well i dont have my heavy duty racks or smoke stix ready in my smokehouse and this dude is way to big for my BS. So i only have one other smoker to use, My Lil'Tex.

I used a brine overnight that 10.5 was so kind to pass on to me. Got the Lil'Tex pre heated with hickory/maple pellets. Going to lower the temp to 225* and bring the IT of the turkey to 100* then apply 3 hours of smoke at the temp of 180*

This should take around 6 to 8 hours.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Now that is a big bird!! I sent you a couple more of the brines Nepas for when you get the sticks in the smokehouse and can hang your bird.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

Looking good NePas and would be interested i the end result.

10.5, I have at least half a dozen of different brines off the net none has be tested or proved. I wonder if your brines are tested, then I would appreciate sending them to me as well. The bird that I paid the sticker price for and the wrong weight is going to be smoked for thanksgiving. I know its a bit early for that but the way days are flying, I am sure it would be upon us before we know it.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 05, 2009, 06:55:09 AM

10.5, I have at least half a dozen of different brines off the net none has be tested or proved. I wonder if your brines are tested, then I would appreciate sending them to me as well. The bird that I paid the sticker price for and the wrong weight is going to be smoked for thanksgiving. I know its a bit early for that but the way days are flying, I am sure it would be upon us before we know it.

HR

HR

I am using one of 10.5 brines. I can tell you it will be good.

nepas

Caribou

Wow Nepas!
Are you sure that isn't an emu?! :D
It's huge!
But I know you will make it great!
Can't wait to see the finished product,
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

IT came up to 107* so i put controller on smoke at 11:15am. Here is the turkey at that time. Now smoke for 3 hours.

nepas

mikecorn.1

Wow. that sure is one big ole turkey.
Mike

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 05, 2009, 07:01:23 AM
Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 05, 2009, 06:55:09 AM

HR

HR

I am using one of 10.5 brines. I can tell you it will be good.

nepas

That's the Honey Brine isn't it? I hate doing things after working all night, I can never remember what it was. Go ahead and post it if you want Nepas.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Here is the turkey brine 10.5 gave me. It sure does look good on the turkey.

Honey Brined Smoked Turkey
Ingredients
•   1 1 gallon hot water
•   pound kosher salt
•   2 quarts vegetable broth
•   1 pound honey
•   1 (7-pound) bag of ice
•   1 (15 to 20-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
•   Vegetable oil, for rubbing turkey
Directions
Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours

squirtthecat

Wow, that looks great.   That brine sounds like a keeper, too.

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks a bunch 10.5 and NePas.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

Turkey is almost done. IT is 174*

nepas

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

That sounds like the Alton Brown Brine that I use, It is great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking bird there Nepas!
HawkeyeSmokes