Making Jerky

Started by Crazy Canuck, February 21, 2005, 03:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Canuck

Decided on batch of Moose Jerky and batch of Bison Jerky to break in new BS. I marinated the two batches in a marinade for last 24 hours. Put in smoker @ 55 degrees F for 2hours. Once cold smoke is complete I am going to put into dehydrator till almost complete then finish in oven @ 200 F till desired dryness obtained. Not sure if this is going to work but I will keep you posted.

Crazy Canuck

Sure need somme Bubba pucks. Is it possible to get the address.

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />http://www.chezbubba.com
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Thanks[:D]

AKBob

Crazy C
I do alot of Jerky in the BS and it turns of just fine.
The BS will dry it out as needed given you keep the temp down and the vent open while smokeing.

AKBob

Crazy Canuck

Jerky turned out so well [:D][:D]that smoker is coming with me on next set of night shifts and plan on doing jerky every night. In fact have two sets of moose in marinade right now. Wife out looking at different marinades as we speak.[:0][8D]

whitetailfan

CC,
Glad you had a good run with your smoker.  I think the smoker does a fine job of it, and it seemed like a big waste to smoke, then dehydrate, then oven cook, when the Bradley can do it all[:)]
BTW, I love the fact your condensed handle is CC!  Mmmm...<font color="blue"><font size="3">CC</font id="size3"></font id="blue">
Where do you hail from?

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

A baby seal walks into a bar. The bartender says "Whattya have?" The seal says "Anything but a Canadian Club!"

[rimshot]..........[boos]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />A baby seal walks into a bar. The bartender says "Whattya have?" The seal says "Anything but a Canadian Club!"

<font color="red">[rimshot]..........[boos]</font id="red">

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Whaddya kidding me...I spewed beer all over my monitor![:D][:D][:D]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Crazy Canuck

Where do you hail from?
 Whitetailfan I live a little further North in Gods Country. Fort St. John, BC.  Only reason I did not use the BS for the jerky was the -25 degrees celsius temp I was dealing with.[xx(] HMM CC

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />A baby seal walks into a bar. The bartender says "Whattya have?" The seal says "Anything but a Canadian Club!"

[rimshot]..........[boos]

I almost spit my mouth full of lunch out[:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

I heard it a differently...did you hear about the seal that walked into a club...it takes most a bit to get that one.  I love the groaners!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Cold Smoke

I'm starting to feel all warm and tingly inside with all these Canucks gathered in one happy spot talking smoke and moose and deer and -30C weather, eh.

Actually I wouldn't mind being at Olds' place right now painting his house. With a T-shirt ham in the BS....[;)][:)]

Winter is starting to suck! [xx(][V][:(!][}:)]

Cold Smoke

calatexmex

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AKBob</i>
<br />Crazy C
I do alot of Jerky in the BS and it turns of just fine.
The BS will dry it out as needed given you keep the temp down and the vent open while smokeing.

AKBob
I did a batch of beef jerky this past week-end. Got the heat a little too high and kept in just a bit too long. But the jerky was okay. Will be better next time. As far as leaving the vent wide open which is necessary IMO. The first hour I ran it between 120- 130f no smoke when I opned the door to check for dryness about 10 flies skatterd to the wind. Had to put a small metal strainer over vent to keep the little buggars out.

Mike C

ListerD

LMFAO! Too funny! Canadian Club [:D][8D][:D]

Re: Beef Jerky -

What's your favorite cut of meat to use?

Favorite Marinade?

I have yet to try it in the smoker. Do most of it in the gas oven and finish on a box fan with air filters (and no, I learned that from my Dad not Alton Brown [:o)], though I was pleasantly surprised to see it on his show!).