Making Jerky

Started by Crazy Canuck, February 21, 2005, 03:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger

ListerD,
That sounds like an interesting way to dry out the jerky. I haven't heard of using a box fan before.
When I make beef jerky I usually use bottom round roast. It is usually reasonably priced and easy to trim and slice.
I have seen a lot of recipes for jerky that is prepared in the oven or dehydrator. Most contain liquid smoke to give it a "smoke" taste. Since you have a smoker, you can give it the real smoke flavor. I like to use High Mountain Jerky seasoning for jerky. They have a variety of flavors and are easy to use.
The main procedure for making jerky is to rotate the racks front to back, top to bottom as the jerky smokes/dries.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

nsxbill

I was talking to Shotgun Fred (TheBBQGuru owner), and he says he uses skirt steak to make his jerkey from.  Anyone ever used this?  He said it is great.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ListerD

I usually use skirt steak. Though jaeger brings up a good point about bottom round (which IMO makes a softer jerky), it's hard to beat the price.

I've also used the HM seasoning (Original & Pepper).

jaeger

ListerD,
If you haven't, you should try making turkey jerky. I usually cut turkey tenders into strips about 1/2 inch thick. I usually let these cure about another 12 to 24 hours longer as well.

calatexmex

I also use High Mountain Jerky Cure. I use the orininal flavor and jazz it up to my liking ie; black pepper, garlic, chili powder ect. As far as meat is concerned bottom round is great. But I will use what ever is on sale with the least fat content. I also like to make  ground jerky. I've got a good jerky shooter and like to use the round hole for jerky sticks. I just got my jerky racks from Chez so I will be able to do the sticks in the smoker. [8D]

Mike C

Phone Guy

I have used skirt steak, flank steak, round steak and loin (back strap). Its all good. Sometimes I like the jerky tender sometimes I like to chew on it. All of the Antelope jerky I have made comes out very tender no matter what part of the animal I smoke. The beef and buffalo is more tough. But its mostly about the flavor and the spices you like.[:p]

ListerD

Re: Turkey Tenders... How long and at what temp?

jaeger

ListerD,
Re: Tenders. I usually reach an internal temp of 165F for poultry.

I usually rotate the racks at least once, and then choose one of the larger pieces that looks like it will take about the longest to finish, and insert the thermometer into this piece at this time. This would be about the 1 to 1 1/2 hour mark. At the 3 hour mark, I am usually taking off the first smaller pieces that look done.   The last pieces are usually done in no longer than 4 hours from the start.

jaeger

Calatexmex,
One of our favorite snack items is ground jerky. I have had good luck with a jerky seasoning from Eastman Outdoors. The one I like is the original. I found this at a sporting goods store locally but Eastman is a large seasoning company.
Here is a link for what they carry.
http://www.eastmanoutdoors.com/flavors_jerky_seasonings.shtml

calatexmex

Thanks for the tip jaeger. I will check out the site. I usually use the High Mountain for ground jerky too. But I am open something different.

Mike C

bigbuck

Guys, Im pretty new to the forums and had a quick question.  Do you follow the BS Directions for Jerky, or do you follow the High Mountain Directions?  BS Recipe calls for 4 hours, HM recipr calls for 2 hours.  Help please..

jaeger

big buck,
I usually smoke for 2 hours and finish cooking in 1-2 hours more without smoke. One batch usually takes about 3 1/2 hours. I always rotate the racks front to back-top to bottom.

SoupGuy

Top or Bottom round work well for jerky. If you really want to save some money, buy a whole "Beef Flat" from your butcher or even local grocery store meat department. This is where the "rump" roast is cut from.

If you can get SELECT grade of beef, it will work out best as it contains far less fat. Tenderloin in my humble opinion is far too lean and offers less flavor.

Skirt steak is GREAT. So is Flank. I highly recommend using a mechanical meat tenderizer frim the start though. I use a hand held thing full of sharp metal "pins". Got it at Kohls for $20 and works great. Do NOT use Adolph's or other chemical laden meat tenderizers. YUK!!!![xx(]

Turkey 'tenders' are fantastic. Breast usually come out too stringy though.

GOOD LUCK!

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I have used skirt steak<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I enjoy the skirt that serves me the steak.  

I enjoy my jerky chewy so I will take rump roasts and cut the meat with the grain to obtain a chewier/stringier piece of meat. I will also run meat through the grinder with a course bit on then I use a sspice similar to high mountain with addition of a few more peppers and stuff to spicin it up.  I also been workin on a recpie for slim jims and once I have it perfected I will post it.

Addicted to Smokin'
DanR
Fort St.John, BC

SoupGuy

Crazy -

I'm thrilled to see I am not the only one who cuts jerky meat WITH the grain. Goes to show that some 'rules' are meant to be broken! I sell a lot of jerky to a lot of people and not once has anyone told me that I should cut it across the grain. I DO however use slices a tad less than the standard 1/4 inch thickness. There are a few people who want it thicker- I just send them to the gas station or grocery store. :)

For slim jims- I tried the Rytek recipe several times trying to modify it to my liking... never got what I wanted. Then I ordered a bulk mix from sausagemaker.com for 'peppered meat sticks'. Its pretty good on its own, but I jazz it up with additional spices:

dry mustard
hungarian paprika (gives good colour inside)
additional black pepper (freshly ground)
white pepper
garlic powder
onion powder (lots)
Old Bay (or celery seed)
chipotle powder

Oh- I use beef. 85% lean from my jerky trimmings and store bought ground meat. If doing venison, then I add pork trimings and meat.

Did you ever read the ingredients in a real Slim Jim:

"Mechanically Separated Chicken".  WHATS WITH THAT?!!! Sounds more like a legal disclaimer than meat!

If you get to a recipe you like, Please share it! Always looking to try something new.

** I've given up on 'Fermento' and am hoping somebody out there has some experience with the 'live' stuff for fermenting meat.