Making Jerky

Started by Crazy Canuck, February 21, 2005, 03:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ListerD

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">onion powder (lots)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ya know, I did some meat a while back with loads of onion powder it came out really good, BUT suffice it to say that the onion powder worked wonders as far as clearing out my intestines (that's about the most tactful way I can think to put it). Turns out I'm actually alergic to onions (Doc's call based on the description), raw I'm fine with but heavy amounts of cooked or saute' onions and onion powder just whoosh right through me. [xx(]

Which REALLY sucks... don't know why I shared that but I did [8D][:o)]

offtiny

I just got my BS.  Could someone just kinda give me the basic on making jerky using the BS as far as settings, time it takes.  I have been using a dehydrator and/or oven method previously.  I'm not new to smoking, I usually smoke meats over wood and charcoal but it's hard to maintain a certain temperature that way.  Anyway, my first batch I made in the BS I ran the temp at about 140 on the gauge when I opened the door after about an hour the meat seemed to be cooking rather than drying.  I looked for recipes in the papers that came with the smoker but didn't really find anything about making jerky.  If someone would be kind enough to just give me a basic "how-to" it would be greatly appreciated.  
Thanks
Offtiny

Chez Bubba

Ryan,

What you have to remember is the Bradley is first & foremost a smoker. It's designed to cook meat. Yes, you <b>can</b> dehydrate in it, but there will certainly be a learning curve and it will absolutely not do it as efficiently as your dehydrator. Same goes for the oven method, it <b>can</b> be done, it just takes a lot longer.

From what I've read here & talked to personally, the power-jerky-makers have come to the conclusion that you cold smoke the jerky for 2-3 hours, then put it into your dehydrator. Great smoke taste, expedient dehydration.

Hope that helps,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?