Buy from USA pick up in UK?

Started by dannyd, September 05, 2009, 04:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyd

Hi guys.

I'm sure i read somewhere on this forum (i cant find it at the moment) someone advising another person in the UK to purchase their Bradley by calling up the guys in the USA and picking it up in person in the UK thus taking advantage of the exchange rates. Do you think that would work guys?

manxman

QuoteDo you think that would work guys?

I am not convinced the savings would be at all significant shipping a single unit into the UK by the time HM Customs have added their cut, VAT has been added and shipping costs were taken into account. (I was quoted £80 to ship the thing a few years ago)

Ideally you would need a 240V model from Bradley HQ Canada as I seem to remember a post a while ago saying that running a 110V model using an adaptor here in the UK may cause problems with the unit over time?

Similarly a couple of us were intend on clubbing together to ship in a pallet load of pucks in to the UK a year or two ago but the maths just didn't make it worthwhile and this was when £1 bought $2.

I do know of a guy (because that is how I got mine) who was buying a few OBS's at a time from Canada and selling them in the UK considerably cheaper on ebay, however he doesn't appear to be on the scene anymore and his fishing tackle website has disappeared.

This is just my opinion, if you look into it further and it does work out then let us know.  :)
Manxman

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there and welcome to the forum,

I totally agree with Manxman for what he said especially the part about running a 110 volts smoker on 220 or 240 volts with a converter for a long time as it will effect it eventually. The concern of the voltage is not much when compared to the hertz, 110 v has 60 cycles while 240 has 50. That would be your concern and most converters will not sustain that.

When I decided to buy mine, I purchased it from the UK and had shipped to Jordan, even the US prices being cheaper, I believed I have saved more money and especially when it came to the shipping. Here is where I bought mine from:

http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/bradley_smoker.html

If you give them a call ask for Malchom Barnett and tell him the Jordanian sent you.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

dannyd