Salmon Brine - "to Rinse or not to Rinse"

Started by Indy, February 21, 2005, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy

I'm going to be trying my first batch of Smoked Salmon in the next couple of days. I'm using Kummok's famous recipe, but I have a question...

Do you rinse the salmon after taking it out of the brine, and before drying, or do you take it right out of the bucket and onto the rack.

Thanks guys (and girls actually, I think we've got a few of them out there as well...)

Indy

nsxbill

I rinse completely off and then dry.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

tsquared

I don't rinse Kummok's brine off at all as it does not contain that much salt. I dry my fish strips in the fridge or on my dehydrator (saves time) and when they start to get tacky, I sprinkle on coarse ground black pepper and rosemary and proceed to smoking. Next time I'm going to try the garlic, lime, chipolte recipe that's on the other post. Too many mouth watering recipes on this board.
Tom

Fuzzybear

I've done it both ways and have not really noticed any difference.  Maybe my tasebuds are shot/wasted???[:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

Kummok

I've never rinsed, so I can't give you an opinion on how it turns out rinsed. Haven't had any reason or taste/appearance complaints that would cause me to take the additional step to rinse, although most folks I feed it to don't let it slow down crossing their lips to take a look[:D][;)][:D] Hmmm....I wonder how it'd taste rinsed in Kokanee?!?!?[:p][;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Indy

It really sounds like I can't go wrong on this one. The brined fish smells great and the recipe doesn't call for too much salt, so I'm not too worried. I'm going to try it un-rinsed this time. I'm going to try the course black pepper that Tom recommended on some of the pieces.

I actually went ahead and put the salmon in brine last night, and it's drying on racks in my screened in back porch right now (with my wife's two cat's noses pressed against the window and wishing they could work a door knob!)

I'l let you know how it turns out

Thanks guys,

Ray

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Indy</i>
<br />....I actually went ahead and put the salmon in brine last night, and it's drying on racks in my screened in back porch right now (with my wife's two cat's noses pressed against the window and wishing they could work a door knob!)....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Feline torture....what a visual picture you paint, Ray...ya gotta LOVE it!!  My wife, my cardiologist, AND my GP have all conspired to keep me from eating the GREAT pork/bacon recipes that are on this forum, however the tear dripping laughs I get from stuff like this SHOULD counter the minor occlusions caused by a few nibbles on the old pig, wouldn't ya think?!?![;)][:D][:D][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Fuzzybear

Yeah Kummok, Indy could not go wrong posting a picture of those cats and flat noses!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hmmm....I wonder how it'd taste rinsed in Kokanee?!?!?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've done that many times Kummok, but only after it's in my mouth!![:D]
Tom

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />I've done that many times Kummok, but only after it's in my mouth!![:D]
Tom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Nope. Not here. I'm going away![:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

For those uniformed, Kokanee is beer generic to Canada and some states, but not all.  Can't get it in California, but had one in Canada and Alaska in July.  I like Alaskan Amber.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

i have found if you brine for longer then 30 hours, you should rinse to refresh the fish. if you do a dry brine should soak for a bit,

Indy

I'll see if I can get a picture of the cats at the window. One thing's for sure, there's nothing they like better than fish. We actually have to take fish packaging and skins directly out to the garage or those cats will knock over the kitchen trash cans and rummage around until they've found themselves a snack.

As for the fish, it turned out great! I didn't get finished until about 12:30 last night, but it was perfect. Not too salty for my tastes either, although I may do a slight rinse next time around, just to see how it turns out.

Thanks,

Ray

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Nope. Not here. I'm going away!

Kirk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Doesn't matter Kirk, we know the way your mind works!
Tom

psdubl07

OK, I gotta post this story, but first I'll say I do rinse after brining w/ Kummok's recipe.  Not a hardcore rinse, but rather lightly, then pat dry.  Also I use 2 hours Alder and 1 hour Hickory (2 A pucks, 1 H puck etc..)

Anyway, my neighbor's cat is a notorious grubber.  I've actually seen him jump on the side burner of a bbq while it's going. (The bbq's going, not the side burner [:D])
Last year, they were going somewhere for the day and decided to cook a big turkey breast in the crock pot which would be ready when they got home....yah right[;)]  
They get home, and the smell in the house is wonderful.  My neighbor says, "Oh that smells terrific!  I can't wait to eat!"  They walk in the kitchen, and here's the cat lying on his back in a tryptophan-induced stupor, with a half-eaten turkey breast lying on the floor.  He actually got up on the counter, removed the lid of the crock pot (without breaking it mind you), stuck his paw in the hot liquid, and pulled the turkey breast out and onto the floor.  Needless to say, he was sent into the backyard at about 60 mph.  [:0]

You should have seen him hanging around my garage the other day when I was smoking the salmon.