A few things I have learned so far...got others??

Started by Andy, February 21, 2005, 06:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

First, I have discovered that the quality of meat mostly irrelevent.  I smoked lower grade chicken quarters with expensive ones several weeks ago...no difference after spending 8 hours in the smoker.

The turkey breast I did this weekend was the cheapest one I could find...and came out great.

I have smoked about 6 pork butts...some were damn expensive...some were cheapo's...not much difference.

What does make a big difference is time, temp...and flavor added (READ: wood flavor and rub)

Some rubs are to sweet for me.  Some just do not have the flavor I ahve wanted.  My turkey breast this weekend came out great...but I would definitely change the brine next time to be more terioki...nothing against Smokehouse's brine..it was good...but I prefer terioki.  I have found wood makes a big difference as well.  I really liked the hickory smoked butt and chicken quarters...but to me the sweetness of the pecan was awesome...I know others will disagree.

Further...time and temp is also something.  If I smoke a pork butt to 190...it will be dry..altitude for me at 9500 ft plays a roll there.  If i pull it at 175 it will be a bit fatty...180 to 185 is a lot less fat...and not dry.  It is amazing how 5 degrees in temp makes a difference.  THis weekend..when i do the same smoke again...Turkey adn pork butt...the breast will stay in an extra hour or so til 165...

I found with pork ribs...country style...160 is done...but 175 is perfect. Chicken quarters...160 is done...165 is perfect.   5 hours of smoke for chicken to me is boarder line to much...5 hours on pork is perfect.  

I also found rubs make a huge difference.  I really like rubs with heat...at first I thought it would really be to spicy...like if you grilled a piece of meat with no skin.  I found the skin really reduced the power of the rub...so more is better for me.

just a few things...I got my smoker 2 months ago...and just did my 10th smoke...I am sure more to come...

psdubl07

Nice summary on your experience so far.

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

- Everyone's taste is different, so try many different recipes and find what you like.  While I definitely have my opinions about what works and what doesn't, nothing I've cooked in my Bradley has been bad.

- Others may have different results, but I've found the lowest rack in my Bradley gets the most heat and the least smoke, the top rack gets the opposite.  I keep this in mind depending on what I'm smoking and if I need to rotate racks or not.

- Be sure to have plenty of 2 things on hand when you're ready to smoke: 1)Time     2)Beer  
Not necessarily in that order though...  [;)]

JJC

Paul, I would only add that during the winter months having a good supply of whisky or schnapps is just as important as having plenty of beer . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

psdubl07

gotbbq

psdubl07-

One of the greatest things about smoking is that when the smoker is working its imposssible for the wife to tell if i'm smoking a cigar.  In winter I smoke (meat and cubans) in the garage with the door slightly open. it doesn't get much better than this.

Gotbbq[^][^][^]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />Nice summary on your experience so far.

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

- Everyone's taste is different, so try many different recipes and find what you like.  While I definitely have my opinions about what works and what doesn't, nothing I've cooked in my Bradley has been bad.

- Others may have different results, but I've found the lowest rack in my Bradley gets the most heat and the least smoke, the top rack gets the opposite.  I keep this in mind depending on what I'm smoking and if I need to rotate racks or not.

- Be sure to have plenty of 2 things on hand when you're ready to smoke: 1)Time     2)Beer  
Not necessarily in that order though...  [;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Chez Bubba

1.  Don't tug on Superman's cape.

2.  Don't spit into the wind.

3.  Don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger.

4.  Don't mess around with Jim.

[:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />1.  Don't spit into the wind.

2.  Don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger.

3.  Don't mess around with Jim.

[:D][:D]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Uh, Kirk, isn't that "Don't pull on Superman's cape"? [:D][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

Oops! Edited it for correctness, at least as well as this old man can remember.[:D]

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?