ADA certified BBQ sauce

Started by squirtthecat, September 09, 2009, 07:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

For the diabetics out there...

http://www.chefhymiegrande.com/

I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it is available in stores in NY state, and one in Louisville, KY.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used it.  I bring 'leftovers' in to the office quite a bit, and we have a diabetic coworker that has to be real careful about hidden sugar content in sauces/rubs.

Cheers,
STC.

pensrock

I have never seen them before but would love to try the chipotle and habenero varieties. The sweet one would not be one I would care for. I just do not care for sweet sauces. I'll have to look for them.

dbrown1

I have some friends with diabetes they tell me they usually substitute sugar for Agave and something else I can't remember but I will have to let them know about these sauces. Thanks for the info Squirt.

squirtthecat

I've seen Agave at the store a few times now...   It doesn't say how much to use for replacing sugar in a recipe..   Anyone tried this?

pensrock

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 30, 2009, 08:33:58 AM

I've seen Agave at the store a few times now...   It doesn't say how much to use for replacing sugar in a recipe..   Anyone tried this?

Not here, never seen it or heard of it before.  ???

squirtthecat

The local WallyWorld started carrying it...

This is what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMZMN8

Caneyscud

Just tried Agave this weekend while in Central Market.  Vaguely halfway between a maple syrup and a corn syrup taste!

As a diabetic, I really hate marketing like that.  It really pisses me off!  People could get into trouble!  The products may not contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup - but they do contain molasses, tomato paste, agave nectar, beer, Worcestershire sauce, and other "hidden" carbs - all contain sugars of one kind or another or carbs for other reasons.  This guys site says a 2 tsp serving has 8 carbs.  Two tsp of sugar also contain 8 carbs (depending on which table you look in).   - Compare that to Hunts BBQ sauce original - 13g carbs,  Smuckers strawberry preserves - 8g carbs,  Vanilla Ice cream  - 4g carbs.  It might me more "healthy" since no simple sugars and high fructose corn syrup - but hardly "low carb".  His site never  states that they are low carb!

Might be good tasting sauces though - just misleading information!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

Agave is about twice as sweet as sugar, but only has 11 carbs per tablespoon, and theoretically you will use half as much. So a 1/2 tablespoon equals 1 tablespoon of sugar. Some rate the degree of sweetness higher.

So if you are making your own sauces take that into account. For baking, it is a little more complicated because you have to take into account the extra liquid. There are two types of Agave, amber and what I call blue (it's not blue, but it comes form the blue agave plant). The blue has a mild after taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 30, 2009, 02:46:00 PM
but it comes form the blue agave plant.

Not putting any ideas in anybody's head but

Blue agave nectar + Ferment + distill = Tequila?????
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 30, 2009, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 30, 2009, 02:46:00 PM
but it comes form the blue agave plant.

Not putting any ideas in anybody's head but

Blue agave nectar + Ferment + distill = Tequila?????

Pretty much...

We were down in Mazatlan, MX last Easter, and we took a couple road trips to neighboring towns.   We drove by field after field after field of this stuff..    And it had the blue tint to it.

That's all I could think about.  1 Tequila, 2 Tequila, 3 Tequila, FLOOR!

dbrown1

Squirt I put about half the amount of agave as a recipe calls for sugar... I have a diabetic friend that turned me on to this... I dunno just saying .
Hope that helps

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: dbrown1 on September 30, 2009, 06:44:29 PM
Squirt I put about half the amount of agave as a recipe calls for sugar... I have a diabetic friend that turned me on to this... I dunno just saying .
Hope that helps

That is also the ratio I use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Thanks guys...   I've got that big charity smoke coming up, and I'm going to throw in a big jar of BBQ sauce...   Probably from the Montgomery Inn post that someone had a couple weeks ago. (can't remember who now)