Pork Butt Cost in Ontario ???????

Started by oakville smoker, September 09, 2009, 09:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Hi all

My ongoing challenge of finding prok butt in Ontario continues.

Costco, always my first stop never has it.  Superstore, Longos, Metro etc don't have it.
So last Saturday I accepted a mission to find pork butt.  It started with a place I knew nothing about
that does nothing but smoke meat....  whole pigs, racks of ribs like you have never seen in your life.
But not butts, at least not fresh.  They told me to do down the road 10 minutes and a place named Teggarts would have them.  They are in the Steeles and Winston Churchill area.  Of course, I was too early but they had a cuple of 10 plus pounders on the way.  Now I am drooling.....  All I have to do is call and tell them how much and how many.

Question:  $2.35 a pound:  Is that a reasonable cost in Ontario or did the guy see the drool on my chin and think he was going to take advantage??????
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Mr Walleye

Hi OS

Here in Sask. the best I can get is usually $1.89 lb. so $2.35 doesn't sound too bad.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokeville

There are several places for pork butt....

Huan Ming on Birnhamthorpe in Mississauga
Lococco in Hamilton (on Barton) they have a web site so you can google search
Springer Meats in Hamilton off of Parkdale.

The price at the last two is usually $2.49/lb, while Huan Ming is typically $1.49 or much less on sale.

Also, the Great Canadian Wholesale (owned by Loblaw) lists them in their catalog.

Rich

oakville smoker

Thanks much all

I will go at 2.35 a pound and be happy then
Time to place my order for this weekend.  I think I will start with one, make sure the quality and
all that good stuff is what I expect and order some freezer stock once I am satisfied

Thanks all for the feedback.  As always, its appreciated
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

ArnieM

Wow, that sounds like a lot of money!  I'm assuming the prices are Canadian.

Down here in Connecticut, my local grocer (they only have three stores) has them in sale this week for USD 0.99 - and I've previously seen them for as low 0.69 - 0.79.  The cost of living must be pretty high up there, eh?  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Wow 2.35 per lb I squeal when they go for 1.35 but i live in the states and here in Nebraska they are going for .99 per lb and I bought 6 of then at 7 lb each

oakville smoker

I could only wish meat was that cheap here.  I really wish Coscto would carry it here.
Its either pay 2.3 5 a pound or 10 bucks for a pulled pork sammie that is more bread than pork.
We have to do what we have to do for BBQ

ArnieM

Gee, maybe I just found an export business.  :o  However the red tape and shipping costs would probably kill the deal  :-[
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

dilly

I just asked to owner of our local little "Foodland" store and he sold me a 7lb butt (bone in) for $11.00.  It was still cryo-vac'd from the packer and he said he would only charge me $1.49lb because he basically didnt have to do anything but hand it to me.  Keep looking, I am sure you will find something.  If all else fails, head to the StJacobs Farmers Market.  They have ready to go "pulled pork" roasts (butts with the bone out, trimmed, in a string bag for around $12 each...weigh about 5-6 lbs)
My meat goes from field to table by my own hands.

oakville smoker

Dilly

I will have to try St jacobs.  I was there a few weeks ago and no pork butts but never saw anything like you are describing.
Do you happen to remember who  the vendor was ?

dilly

You know the summer sausage guy under the stairs? It was the pork and lamb place right accross from him.  The last guy before the door right where the food vendors are.
My meat goes from field to table by my own hands.

oakville smoker

thanks much.  I will be trackng hin down like the dog that I am   LOL

bflosmoke

Oakville. I know its abit of a haul but if you are coming to Buffalo at anytime you can get it for $1.20 at BJs

oakville smoker

Great idea, Buffalo.
Only problem is if the Customs guy gets nosy and they find you are bringing back meat, it gets confiscated. 

I am wondering now about a clandestine smuggling opportunity for pork butt across the Niagara River.  Maybe string a wire and slide shopping bags back and forth ?  It could work.

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on September 14, 2009, 09:24:15 AM
Wow, that sounds like a lot of money!  I'm assuming the prices are Canadian.

Down here in Connecticut, my local grocer (they only have three stores) has them in sale this week for USD 0.99 - and I've previously seen them for as low 0.69 - 0.79.  The cost of living must be pretty high up there, eh?  :D

Arnie,

Where in CT are you?  Who is your local grocer?    I'm near Waterbury.  I haven't seen butts for .99 only picnics.  I think I have been paying 1.29 to 1.49. 

Deb