1st shot at pastrami (sort of)

Started by Up In Smoke, September 09, 2009, 05:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Quote from: Up In Smoke on September 16, 2009, 05:41:07 PM
Sorry about the delay on the finished pic, i have been busier than heck at work, home, and i got spider bit in the arm pit so my arm looked like a balloon in the thanksgiving day parade. but thanks to doc a  scalpel and some antibiotics i am back up and running.
i got a new slicer today and sliced the meat before i took a pic....sorry i was just a little excited about the new tool.

a little too much pepper for my liking but the flavor was still really good!
Well it is a sandwich meat so it makes sense to slice it to me  :)
I came out fantastic UIS and you should be basking in the glory of a job well done.
Hope your bite is doing better.  :(
Carolyn

squirtthecat

Looks great!   Thanks UIS for the pics, and to 10.5 for the 'secret recipe'.   I will try it out this weekend.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

pastrami on marble rye with a dab of horseradish mustard and a slice of provalone sounds sooooo goood.

Nice job on the short cut pastrami

squirtthecat

I picked up a corned beef flat today at Schnucks...    Gonna give it a nice long bath for a Saturday afternoon smoke.

Couldn't find coriander seeds, just organic ground coriander.   I guess I use the same quantity in the rub?

squirtthecat

Quote from: Up In Smoke on September 17, 2009, 11:46:31 AM
i'm thinking maybe 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of ground.

Ok, that makes sense.  I'll cut down on the pepper as well, as it is already ground.

FLBentRider

I've done that rub with the pre-ground spices and then grinding my own.

You won't believe the difference the fresh ground spices make in flavor and texture.

I've resorted to going to whole paycheck (whole foods) to get the Coriander. It is definitely worth it to use fresh.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 17, 2009, 05:00:21 PM
I've done that rub with the pre-ground spices and then grinding my own.

You won't believe the difference the fresh ground spices make in flavor and texture.

I've resorted to going to whole paycheck (whole foods) to get the Coriander. It is definitely worth it to use fresh.

Ditto on grinding your own. It's the only reason I have a mortar and pestle. Plus a blade coffee grinder.  The whole spices keep much better to.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Thanks guys.  I'll go that route the next time.  I had an hour for lunch to eat, run errands, and get pastrami stuff, so that's all I could come up with.

squirtthecat

;D   I wish we could do that..

I live out on the boonies, but work in the city, so I have to do all of my 'hunting and gathering' over my lunch hour.

squirtthecat

Quick question:   Do you trim much/any of the fat cap off before smoking?

I was switching the water out this morning...  The smell brought the cats out of the woodwork - almost didn't make it back to the fridge without tripping.

squirtthecat

Thanks UIS.  I'll leave it alone.   It does look fairly thin..

Would you boat it after the smoke finishes, or just leave it be?

squirtthecat

Sounds like a plan..
Mine has been triple rinsed, patted dry, and rubbed up happy.

squirtthecat

And, many many hours later..   Ready for the foil treatment.

I sampled a bit before I vacsealed it..  It was good, but a bit tough.   
Then I realized why...  I slice a bit off of the short end - with the grain.  Duh.

Thanks 10.5 for the recipe, and UIS for the tips!

OU812

Looks like you did good, did you get that baby cut up yet?