2 day brisket

Started by Ben, February 22, 2005, 10:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Curious to know if any of you have cooked a brisket in two stages. Say smoke it for 4 hours one evening and finish it in the oven the next day.

owrstrich

ben...

i have not tried that... i think the juices hitting the hot heat deflector located above the water bowl in the bottom of the bradley smoker is key... the juices either turn to smoke when they hit the hot deflector or drain in the water bowl to be evaporated... this adds lots of flavour and i think is essential to the complete bradley smoker expierence...

did i mention ftc really freaks me out...

more without prejudice later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

humpa

Ben...I just finished doing that. I smoked for 5 hours, kept cooking overnight for a total of 22 hours. At that point, the int temp was 170 deg. Due to the time I wanted it served, I pulled it and FTC'd it for 5 hours. Then I set the oven for 300 and it took another 4 hours to make it to 185. Then at 5PM I FTC'd it again for 2 hours, served it right at 7PM, hot and delicious. I actually undercook if I'm giving it to a friend, and just tell them to finish it off in their oven. So far, everything has turned out OK. BTW, I leave the foil on in the oven so the heat doesn't dry it out.[:)]

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

veggieman

Ben
  Here is what I do on an overnight smoke of brisket and pork butt.  Smoke for 4 to 5 hours.  Pull out and half wrap loosely each in foil, leaving the top exposed.  Then I place in my 20 quart electric roaster.  Set Temp on 225 and let cook all night until desired temp.  My roaster forms alot of moisture on the lid that drips on the meat.  Since the bottom half of meat is wrapped in foil you are now cooking it in it's own juices/rub/smoke.  I take out and either slice or shred and save the juices that are left in the foil.  Let cool and put in disposable aluminum pans pouring some of the juice on top of meat.  Cover, refrigerate and reheat later in roaster.  The main reason I do it this way is to prolong the life of my BS and I don't like to leave it going all night.

I keep my roaster in the garage and do my overnight cooking out there, because if I don't, my wife complains about the smoke smell being in the house.

jaeger

veggieman,
Sounds like good advice. This would seem to make things a lot easier if someone had to go to work or leave for awhile.

Doug