Additional heating element

Started by dbrown1, September 14, 2009, 12:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown1

I was looking for some information on an additional heating element for the BDS if anyone has information on this I would appreciate it.... did some smoking this weekend and for some reason I had a problem getting my temp close, in some cases it was more than 40 degrees off....needless to say I was a bit upset and want to fix this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

Habanero Smoker

Adding the additional heating element is not recommended unless you have a PID or other second party temperature controller.

Here are the instructions to add an additional element to the BDS.
Additional Heating Element

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dbrown1

Thanks for the link Hab, that seems easy enough..

porterdriver

I am buying all of my additions and accessories before I I get my 6-Rack BDS.  I already have fan kit, Auber PID, cold smoke attachment, and Maverick wireless thermometer...so I am just about done.  I want to do all of my mods before I smoke for the first time.

This thread is about a year or so old since anyone posted in it.  Love Mr. Walleye's instructions, I think even I can do this.  However, I am having trouble finding a source for the additional heating element and the reflector shield.

Mr. Walleye said he got his element and reflector from "Yard & Pool".  With no more information than that, I haven't been able to find that business on-line.

Anybody give a rookie a hand with this?

TIA

squirtthecat

Quote from: porterdriver on October 06, 2010, 11:52:54 AM
I am buying all of my additions and accessories before I I get my 6-Rack BDS.  I already have fan kit, Auber PID, cold smoke attachment, and Maverick wireless thermometer...so I am just about done.  I want to do all of my mods before I smoke for the first time.

This thread is about a year or so old since anyone posted in it.  Love Mr. Walleye's instructions, I think even I can do this.  However, I am having trouble finding a source for the additional heating element and the reflector shield.

Mr. Walleye said he got his element and reflector from "Yard & Pool".  With no more information than that, I haven't been able to find that business on-line.

Anybody give a rookie a hand with this?

TIA

Here ya go..

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Parts-s/341.htm

Brian Bryan (from Yard & Pool) is a long-time member on the forum.

Tenpoint5

This should take you right to it. http://www.yardandpool.com/
If you have any questions give them a call and they will be more than happy to help you out. Bryan is a member here on the forum.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

You can order the high temp connectors and wire fron Allied Kenco
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/585_762?osCsid=undefined

I would recommend that you do one smoke before you do your mods. That way you know everything is working. I did my seasoning and a small chicken. I figured that if something wasn't working after the mods at least I know it wasn't in the original unit as shipped and will help narrow the fix.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

porterdriver

Gus,

Excellent point.  Hadn't thought that through.  I was just trying to work on stuff before it got snotty and sooty and the connectors welded themselves together but your point is well taken.

Thank you (and thank the rest of the cats on this site).  Answers to questions that I have posted on this board have been amazingly quick in coming, spot on, and greatly appreciated.

Toker

And just remember that installing a fan will void your waranty sorry to be party breaker but me i waited 1 full year before doing mine. My friend is suppose to come tonight to do it with me lol.

porterdriver

I guess that I might risk the warranty issue after I have done the above-recommended test drive of factory equipment but I doubt that my ADHD will allow me to wait a year before implementing the desired changes.

Seems like there are some of these modifications that Bradley would want to make on their own; sort of an "advanced model". 

Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Toker

You know i think Bradley compagny doe not encourage any mod at all due to the fire azards that we are risking. Anyway you already have a pid. The only thing that i would add in your setup, its a 2nd inline fuse and a 2nd black sensor but maybe you already thought about it. You can get them at Yardandpool.com

porterdriver

I was thinking that if Bradley did the mods, they could upgrade and adjust for any additional risk.

I'm not sure what you mean by '2nd inline fuse and a 2nd black sensor'.  Is that to fuse the second heating element?  Hate to be a pest but can you give me a little more info as what those parts are for and perhaps part numbers from Yard and Pool?

Toker

I dont know if you have a obs or a dbs but here are the link for the obs parts the fuse are for adding more safty in case your pid fail some time If it does but for me safer is better so here are the link

fuse   http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Inline-Fuse-p/inlinefuse.htm

sensor  http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Temperature-Sensor-p/tempsensor.htm

Habanero Smoker

If I remember you had the digital, and that will only require an in-line fuse. If you install an in-line fuse make sure you order the one for the digital smokers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)