Circulation fan rotation ?

Started by Fair-chase, November 25, 2009, 06:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fair-chase

Well I going to do the circulation fan mod. using the grainger fans and motor. I haven't been happy with my sausage results due to temperature variations mainly top to bottom , but some also front to back . Will the fan mod solve these problems?

I've read all the post on fan mods, however I haven't seen any recently.  Most seem to be running the fan CCW , but some are running it CW thinking like I that moving air from the back ( which is usually the hottest spot) toward the front should work best.

So all you that have used this mod which rotation works best?

OU812

I have mine pushing from the back to the front.

The temps, front to back, top to bottom, are a lot more closer now

Fair-chase

Did you build the little shroud over the top of the fan like Mr. Walleye did ?

OU812

Quote from: Fair-chase on November 25, 2009, 02:57:26 PM
Did you build the little shroud over the top of the fan like Mr. Walleye did ?

Yep, kept it away about 3/8" and tiped it down a little also.

drano

Fair-chase,

My fan rotates the same way it did when I took it out of the box, and I built a small shroud over the top to help it blow air to the front and keeps the blast furnace effect off the low meat.  It does a good job of gently moving the air to improve temp stability throughout the smoker.  When I hang sausage, the bottoms still get done before the tops, but its not excessive. 
Good luck on the mod.

get smokin
drano

Fair-chase

What do you consider not excessive ?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Fair-chase on November 26, 2009, 07:56:54 AM
What do you consider not excessive ?

Fair-Chase

Here is a picture of some sausage I've done in mine with the circulation fan running CW (blowing back to front). If you really, really look you can see the lowest tips of the sausage are slightly done more than the tops. It really is negligible as long as you don't crank the heat up and try to rush the process.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Oldman

The first fan I did was CCW. The second was CW. After testing both I strongly suggest you go CCW.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fair-chase

Oldman

Quote from: Fair-chase on November 27, 2009, 01:11:33 PM
Why do you feel CCW is better?
Heat displacement is better as it is blowing down on the element.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!