Smoker Vent Problem

Started by mikeradio, September 14, 2009, 12:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Good luck with the fan MR; I hope you don't suck all of the smoke out.   ;)  I'm curious to see the result.  I've never done jerky before.  Isn't it done kinda low temp.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

mikeradio

The computer fans are DC so I can vary the voltage to speed it up or down.  Yes jerky is done a lower temps  I start at 140 while the smoke is running about 4 pucks, then I increase the temp by 10 degrees every hour to 180 .  I cut the jerky thin  less then 1/4 inch so it takes about 4 to 5 hours .

Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Mike, one other thing to try if the fan moves to much air out, raise the pipe just a small amount off the top of the smoker. By creating an air gap, it would allow you to move more air  through the pipe which should help. Just a thought.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikeradio

Well I have an update to my vent problem.  I installed a fan to a end cap and installed it on the Y, the Y allowed air to travel both directions.  So it forced some smoke to come out of the generator.  So I removed the Y and added the fan in line , just like a booster fan.  That worked well before I installed the fan the inside of the pipe was wet, after the fan the inside of the pipe was dry.  The moisture was now dripping out of the end of the pipe outside.  It worked well with the voltage at 8volts, it did not cool down the smoker at all.  I am going to get a different power supply and try it at a lower voltage.  I am not sure how long the fan will last inside the pipe, I have it in the middle of the pipe so it should be little cooler.  I will post some pictures in the AM.

Thanks

Mike

mikeradio

Here are some pics of the modified setup.  I removed the Y and added 2 45's.  To test it I used the fan installed in the end cap and just pressed it up against the 45.  The last pic is the fan installed inside a coupler.  Tonight I will install the fan and run some more test.

Mike

pkcdirect

This may be a dumb idea but here goes.  What about getting either a circular jello mold or an angel food cake pan then have the exhaust over the center of it with a small air gap?  The condensation will come down the sides of the pipe and drip into the pan instead of going back into the smoker.  You may have to make the center hole larger on the angel food pan.
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

Dr. Evil

So how did this work with the new mod?
Brian Bradley for Prime Minister !!

Huntnfreak

Did the final result come out the way you expected?

Pachanga

Mike,

I see a lot of good ideas here.  I thought insulation when reading your post but that has been covered. If it works that would be a simple fix.  The S or short right angle lowered at the elbow with a drain hose is also a thought.

The fan might be the answer.  It will create a venturi effect if installed at the Y but low flow should help reduce the pull on the Bradley.  I would think a reducing ring below the Y to create the venturi will be needed to keep air flow from gong both ways.  Another method would be to increase the pipe diameter above the Y.  Adjusting the Bradley vent will allow you to lower the pull to "normal"  and still clear out the exhaust pipe with dry air.  However, pulling outside air will negate the benefits of insulation. 

I am wondering if the moist hot air being hit by the sudden blast of cool air might create a thunderstorm in the piping.  If there is not enough volume to push the droplets out, will it rain down the pipe?  Be sure your tornado insurance is up to date!!!

During experimentation or if all else fails and there is room, a small bowl on the top rack will catch drips until the issue is settled.  I have began to use a bowl to catch gunk that has collected due to the operator being too lazy to clean the vent properly.

I will be interested in your solution.  I applaud your thought process and efforts.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

mikeradio

The small computer fan installed inside the coupler is working perfectly.  I helps to draw the smoke and moisture outside.  I do have the fittings raised up off the smoker by a 1/4" so it does not draw all the air out of the smoker and cool it down. 

Yesterday I smoked some Garlic Sausage for 10 hours and the outside temp was -22C, I am sure glad I have my smoker inside my garage ;D ;D ;D .

Mike

Huntnfreak

8 degrees F, snowing and wind blowing directly towards the doors I need to open for the smoker.  No smoking for me tonight.  bummer.  Venting and turning the heat on looks more and more like a good idea every day!