Smoker Vent Problem

Started by mikeradio, September 14, 2009, 12:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeradio

Hello

I moved my OBS inside my garage and vented it outside.  It is working fairly well, I get a very small amount of smoke inside the garage.  I did not glue the joints as I wanted to make sure everything worked before I glued them.  I put a Y connector in line thinking I might add a small fan to help move the air.  The problem I am having is I get the moisture dripping down the pipe on top of the smoker.  If I glue the joints then it would drip back inside the smoker.  I have the vent running straight up for 3 ft then vertical for 5 ft, I need the height to get it above my side walk.  I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on this.

Thank you

Mike

FLBentRider

I'm not sure how you are going to fix the condensation problem, but maybe you could put an "S" in it with a drain at the bottom.

At least that would keep the moisture out of your smoker.

Maybe a larger diameter pipe ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I was pondering the same thing this weekend when I was out in the shed but out of 6" round duct work and the thing I was going to do is put a pusher fan in the pipe right after the elbow in the horizontal piece. If its building moisture now wait till winter time you will have a gusher.

Hopefull Romantic

I am not sure if this is going to help and I am not sure what it is called but you know that thing that is placed on top of the smoke stack that rotates with the wind. It also rotates when you start a fire or a BBQ and creates an updraft that helps the smoke out. The only problem you may have that this "fan" has to be installed vertically and not horizontally which would mean another "s" connector.

Just a thought.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

I love your setup - bisquettes, grinder and slicer in the rack.  I can't wait 'til I grow up!

You probably already know that the basic rules for an exhaust are maximum area, minimum run and minimum bends.  Based on that, I wouldn't recommend any more bends.

The problem is that the moisture in the smoke (exhaust) from both the water bowl and food cools and condenses as it goes up the pipe.  Then, of course, it runs back down.  Here are my suggestions, all of which are absolutely untested.  I'm afraid you'll have to experiment a bit.

• Reduce the amount of water in the bisquette catcher bowl.  That should reduce the amount of steam somewhat but you may have to change it more often.
  • Use a larger diameter pipe as OU812 suggested, but use the insulated pipe as used for wood and pellet stove exhausts.  If you can reduce the condensation from cooling, you'll reduce the amount of moisture coming back to the tower.
  • Also, an inline fan, as OU812 suggested, might help push the smoke and moisture outa' there.  Or, the 'Y' idea might work there with a fan and the larger and insulated exhaust pipe.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that you'd probably want the vent full open for all of this.

Boy, oh boy, what we have to go through to get a decent smoke!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

HawkeyeSmokes

Some great suggestions there Arnie.
My thoughts are to use an exhaust fan in the pipe along with an exhaust hood (or a hood with a fan built in) instead of pipe direct on top of the smoker. You don't want to be pulling the smoke and heat out of the smoker. Plus the air space created by using a hood should help eliminate some of the moisture buildup in the exhaust piping.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Thanks HS.  I've been giving it more thought and more wine ;D  The more I think, the more I drink - or maybe it's vice-versa.  :-\

The exhaust looks like 4 inch or so ABS pipe.  I wouldn't have started with that.  However, we now have a hole in the house with some pipe sticking out so let's go from there.

I think mounting a low priced range exhaust hood to the wall with a top exhaust connected to the pipe may do it.  I don't know if any come with an exhaust that small but a reducer would do the trick.  There's really no reason to put a pipe directly on top of the OBS and the condensation problem would likely be solved.  Also, when the door is opened, the vent would suck the smoke out of the garage.  I was thinking of sliding my OBS into the LR FP for winter.  Then, I thought, what happens when I open the door?  Oh-oh.  The wife would not be happy.  But, we all have to make some small sacrifices.  :D

-- Arnie

Mr Walleye

Hi Mike

I would be inclined to agree with using a larger vent. I used a 4" pipe for mine but I do use a range hood directly vented out the wall. The reason for condensation is when hot meets cold. It will certainly condensate more in the winter. The other thing I think that leads to the condensation is the relatively long vertical run, followed by a fairly long horizontal run. I think by the time the exhaust makes it's way up the pipe it is cooling enough to cause the condensation. As already mentioned possibly by insulating the pipe it would help. Using some form of fan/blower in conjunction with insulating should help as well. Just make sure you are not sucking all the heat out of the tower which was one of the problems I discovered in the first link below.

Here is a link to my original setup in my garage. It has some information about a number of things I discovered while setting this up this way.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4142.0

This was my next setup...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6075.0

This is my current setup in my garage.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HawkeyeSmokes

Couldn't agree more Arnie! A little wine or in my case, a few beers it becomes a bit more clear.  :D

I would think you are about right on the 4" size. With a little checking I'm sure a person could adapt a range hood to work.

In fact, I know Mr Walleye has done that with his. Here's a link to it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/mmike/Fishing%20Photos/IMGP0366-s.jpg

I like the idea of using the fireplace because then the whole room would smell so good, yummy! A small sacrifice!

Guess Mike beat me to it!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 14, 2009, 07:10:45 PM

I like the idea of using the fireplace because then the whole room would smell so good, yummy! A small sacrifice!

I tend to like gray but I'm not all that sure my wife would like it.   :-\

Guess Mike beat me to it!  :D
-- Arnie

mikeradio

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas, tomorrow I am going to add the small fan to the Y to see if moving the air will help.  I also like the idea of insulating the pipe to help keep it warmer.  I will pick up the split foam insulation used on hot water pipes.  I will post the results.

Mike

OU812

My thoughts  on the hood is an piece of 18" trunk duct with the 6" round coming out the top. Just trying to make the exhaust out of stuff i have laying around.

Tenpoint5

Reading through this thread I was wondering if a computer fan at the Y would be effective enough to move the air but not extract too much heat from the Bradley?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

It might 10.5

If I remember correctly I think someone else used a computer fan in their vent setup but I can't remember who. I thought there was a picture of it on the forum somewhere.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikeradio

easyridinole used a computer fan on his setup, his was a nice short run of 4" pipe.  I have a 2" computer fan that I am mounting to the end of the 2" cap, which will fit onto the Y.  I am hoping just moving the air faster will help stop the condensation.  I have another batch of jerky to do tonight so I can test it.  Will post more pics too.

Mike