Wings n Things

Started by jha1223, September 15, 2009, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jha1223

Hey folks!  Been a long time since I posted.  Almost as long since I smoked.  Summer has been hell for me.  I haven't seen too many weeks under 80 hours :(

So, last week was under 60 hours and I was stoked to be able to be home last weekend and do some cooking.  Wings sounded great so I marinated wings overnight and tried to smoke them on Sunday.

The wings came from a value pak.  Whole wings i "de-tipped" and split myself.  I did half buffalo / half bbq. 

Smoked according to susanminor times.  They looked awfully dry on the outside when i took them out of the smoker.  Put them on the grill at low temp to crisp up a bit and lather half of them with bbq.  The other half i tossed in Frank's Buffalo. 

They just weren't that good.  The meat was super juicy, but the skin was horrible - thick, tough and just not appealing. 

Help.  My wife and I love wings.  But, this just won't cut it.
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

OU812

When I smoke wings I set my smoker at 250 F with 2 hr Alder vent wide open then finish on the grill over med high heat turning often. Nice and crisp

jha1223

2 hours with hickory vent 3/4.    ???

FLBentRider

I think a high heat finish on the grill is needed to fix the skin.

Poultry skin does not take well to low heat applications.

I think I am going to skin my wings next time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

FL nailed it, high heat on the grill will crisp them right up..That or if you have a BE, it does an excellent job as well!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

ArnieM

I have done split chicken breasts and they came out pretty good right out of the smoker (the cat liked it).  But, I'd go with FL too.  I've heard too many people complain about the rubbery skin right out of the smoker.  Just watch 'em real close on the grill, especially with a sugary sauce.  So far, my preferred method is to deep fry them and then mix them up with homemade buffalo sauce.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jha1223

Well shoot  :D 

I thought go low on the heat was a better idea to keep from burning the sauce, but higher heat to crisp the skin sounds more like the right idea.

I'll keep that in mind next time.  Simple answers are hard to come by for me.   ::)

Thanks!

FLBentRider

I am going to do my next batch with maybe a simple no sugar rub.

Then onto the grill, unless I skin them.

Then into a zip bag with some Franks.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Like i said finish on the grill

squirtthecat

Ditto..

I've done chicken drumsticks a couple times, and I just blast them on the gasser for a bit to crisp them up.  They turn out great.

jha1223

Thanks everyone.  I feel silly, but I guess that's a small price to pay to get the food done right.

FLBentRider

Quote from: jha1223 on September 15, 2009, 11:19:49 AM
Thanks everyone.  I feel silly, but I guess that's a small price to pay to get the food done right.

I quit counting the number of times I feel silly.

I have learned a ton of info here.

I am on another board for another hobby and they are nearly as nice about it, trust me!

:D ;D :D ;)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Just my 2 cents here. After I d-tip them and half them, i trim off any excess skin around the edges of the wing and the drummies. I also finish on the grill.
Mike

squirtthecat

Quote from: jha1223 on September 15, 2009, 11:19:49 AM

I was inside reading this forum while those chicken drumsticks were smoking away, that's how I knew I'd better crisp them on the grill!

oakville smoker

I have one those days today when I am home in the AM and heading for meeting land in the PM
Got up and pulled a pack of free range wings from the freezer and they are now getting happy with some honey, garlic and maple syrup in a vac bag

The plan is to have the smoker warm when I get back, 2 hours in the smoker with Alder since I have not used it yet and then onto the grill for the crisp up.

I don't really care for the skin from my DBS either so this will be a crisp up task that usually works pretty good.  A quick stop at the
corn farm on the way home, the guy runs his motorcycle into the field and picks it fresh and it should be a heck of a mid week dinner. 
Sad part is his corn is probably finished before the end of the week and we will have to go back the picked it whenever stuff.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?