Jamacian Curried Chicken

Started by Habanero Smoker, February 22, 2005, 11:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

There are many variations of Jamacian Curried Chicken, this in one that I like. You should only use Jamaican curry powder, but be careful there is mild, medium and hot. You should always buy the mild. You can always add cayenne pepper to adjust how much heat you want. Cutting the bone is not easy, and I am not good with a cleaver. What I do to cut the bone in the leg and thigh; after I cut through the meat I use a serrated knife to score the bone. Once the bone is scored it can easily be snapped in half.

JAMACIAN CURRIED CHICKEN
2 Whole Chickens (or 6-8 lbs of thighs and legs)
1/4 c. Fresh lemon juice

3 - 4 Tbs. Jamaican curry powder (I use Jamaican Choice)
1 Tbs. Garlic powder
1 Tbs. Onion powder
2 tsp. Adobu w/pepper (or adjust to taste)
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 – 2 tsp. Jerk Seasoning or to taste (optional; I use Jamaican Choice)

2-4 Tbs. oil, clarified butter or shortening
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 Green pepper, chopped
1 or 2 Tomatoes, chopped
2 c. water (some times I will use reduced fat coconut milk)

Rinse chicken with cold water and drain. Remove skin and as much outer fat as possible, leaving the bones in. (Here's a trick to remove the skin. After the chicken has been quartered use a paper towel to get a better grip, grab the skin and pull it off.) Quarter the chicken, then cut into smaller pieces - cut each half-breast into 3 pieces, thighs into 2 pieces, legs into 2 pieces, wings into 3 pieces and discard wing tips. Place chicken pieces in a bowl; add 1/4 cup lemon juice and enough cold water to cover the chicken. Soak chicken in this solution for 1/2 hour. Drain and rinse again in cold water, then drain thoroughly. Return chicken to the empty bowl – do not pat dry.

Mix together the curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Adobo seasoning, cayenne and jerk seasoning. Sprinkle this mixture over the chicken. Wearing protective gloves use you hands to mix the spices into the chicken well so that all chicken parts are evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is best).

Sauté chicken in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high flame in a dutch oven, turning chicken as needed, until golden brown on all sides. Be careful that you do not burn the curry. You may have to cook the chicken in batches, adding more oil when necessary. When all chicken pieces have been browned, remove chicken from pot.

Next sauté the chopped onion and pepper in the chicken drippings, until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and scrap out any remaining spices from the marinated bowl into the pot. Then add water, bring to a boil and simmer on medium-low heat for approximately 10 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Stir chicken until all pieces are covered with sauce. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer at medium heat for 20 minutes; and then on low heat for 10 minutes. Let stand, covered for at least 1/2 hour. Reheat if necessary. Serve warm or hot, over rice.   
Serves 6-8.      

JAMAICAN RICE            
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. diced green pepper
1/2 c. diced onion
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. jerks seasoning (optional)
1 tsp. salt

1/4 c. Chicken stock
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen green peas, thawed
3 c. cooked rice (I use Uncle Bens converted brand rice)

In skillet, melt butter, and add green peppers and onions. Cook over high flame 2-3 minutes. Add pepper, curry powder, salt, chicken stock. Cook 5 minutes; then reduce heat. Add peas and cooked rice, and continue to cook until rice and peas are warmed through and liquid is absorbed (approximately 3 minutes). Serve hot.
Serves 6-8.      

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Iceman,
I thought I would include a curry spice recipe, because the curry makes or breaks a dish; and you may not be able to locate Jamaican style curry where you are at. It is similar to Madras style curry, but not as hot. Sometimes you can finde a mild Madras style, or you just may want you curry hot, in that case Madras style would be good in this dish.

Or you can make your own. Measurement is given I ratios to be used as volume or weight. For example 1 part cayenne, 2 parts fennel, 4 parts cloves; would be 1 teaspoon cayenne, 2 teaspoons fennel, 4 teaspoons cloves.

For mild curry:
1    cayenne
2    fennel
4    cloves
5    black pepper
10    cumin
10    fenugreek
12    cardamom
24    coriander
32    turmeric

I measure by weight, because I mainly use whole spices, and some spices are difficult to find whole, such as fenugreek, cayenne and turmeric. I lightly toast the cardamom, coriander, pepper and cloves until aromatic before grinding. I also kick mine up to 4 parts cayenne, 6 parts is considered hot.

For hot curry:
6    cayenne
2    fennel
4    cloves
5    black pepper
10    cumin
4    fenugreek
12    cardamom
22    coriander
30    turmeric
7   ginger

To pep up the flavor of any curry dish after it's cooked you can add a South African spice mix called Ghurum Masala.

4 oz. ground coriander
1 oz. ground cumin
¼ oz ground cloves
¼ oz ground cayenne pepper
¼ oz ground cinnamon

Mix the spices well and spread on a flat baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toast in a preheated 250°F oven, middle shelf; being careful not to let it burn - about 10 minutes; stirring once or twice during toasting. Let cool and store in tightly covered jars in a cool dry place. Note: this is not a substitute for curry spice that is added during cooking. This is to be added to taste to any curry dish after it has been cooked, if you need or want to kick up the flavor a notch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Thanks Hab. I'm going to try this out when I get back in town in a few weeks.