Summer Sausage?

Started by msiler, February 05, 2004, 05:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msiler

Does anyone have a good recipe for summer sausage? The recipe I currently use depends on spice blend that my local suplier sells that I have modified. Since i will be moving this summer I need to find a new base recipe (well, either that or buy a ton of it before I move)

Fuzzybear

www.eldonsausage.com[?]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Kummok

Check out "http://himtnjerky.com/jerkyboard/viewtopic.php?t=82"....it's short but will lead you to another possible spice mix at High Mt Jerky, PLUS they recommend jalapenos so it can't be all bad!! [:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

msiler

Thanks for the sources... I was hoping for just recipes... two reasons
1. It is easier to modify if you know each item going in.
2. My pantry right now is full of specialized mixes and it seems that I would be better off if I just had raw materials.

Most of the other type of saugage and jerky that I make I have developed recipes for but summer sausage is elusive.

Also any ideas where a person would find
corn syrup solids and powdered dextrose
other than ordering online. I can get it now from a local meat processing supplier that also operates a retail outlet but I am not sure if something like that is going to be available when I move to Abilene. I don't always think far enough ahead for ordering online etc... Also not the most patient person in the world...lol

Whne in doubt smoke it.

Fuzzybear

"google" summer sausage recipies and see what comes up....that may help get you going...

Good luck!

Glendora, CA - USA!

msiler

I have Googled it... Even tried a couple of the recipes.... [xx(]NOT GOOD[xx(]
It seems that most of these recipes are for people who lack the proper equipment ie packed in soup cans, or rolled in foil. Baked not smoked. The results have just not been very good. I do have one or two that look promising just have to get some special igredients in order to give it a try.

When in doubt smoke it.

PAsmoker

Did you try the NWS somking page?  It's outdated but has a number of recipies.  The address is:  http://home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/NWS.htm.  Try the sausage ring & smoke ring as well.
The Original PAsmoker

PAsmoker

The Original PAsmoker

trout

Here is a recipe I have used my self.  It is a recipe I got from a sausage book by Eldon Cutlip.  It is for 10lbs of meat.
5 tablespoons salt
2 tsp curing salt
5 tablespoons powdered dextrose (binding agent)
1 tsp liquid smoke (not necessary)
3 tsp celery powder
3 tsp nutmeg
3 tsp curry powder
3 tsp white pepper
1 cup ice water
1 cup nonfat dry milk
I am usually pretty liberal on my measuring when I make it.  I would rather it be a little spicy than bland.[8D]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Fuzzybear

How about....

5lb venison (ground) mixed with beef tallow
6 tsp salt
2 1/5 tsp mustard seed
2 1/5 tsp ground pepper
2 1.5 tsp garlic salt or subsitute this with 3 cloves of garlic

Hickory pucks

mix all in a bowl for 3 days (in the fridge) turning and mixing once a day

on day four, form into rolls - 8 hours at 160-170 degrees....??

I've never tried it but seems weird not to put it in casings...

Glendora, CA - USA!

msiler

I would put it in casings.... I don'tthink it will come ou at the right density if not. Even when i spooned what the stuffer wouldn't stuff into casings it came out rather soft.

When in doubt smoke it.

trout

My new sausage stuffer is on the way.[:D][:D] My smoked sausage experience has been somewhat limited.  Have stuffed sausage with my electric meat grinder usually, but what a pain.  Too hard to stuff that sticky sausage meat back into the grinder to send it through the stuffing tube.  So I bit the bullet and ordered one of those stainless gear drive hand crank stuffers that press it out with a sealed plunger.  I have tried these and it is soooo much easier.  Hopefully this will encourage me to experiment with more types of sausage if it is faster.[:p]

trout

By the way, has anyone ever made sausage and added a fat replacer.[?]  One of my sausage making videos is made by an old sausage guru with a high colestrol problem.  I think others have mentioned this video before (the one made in his own kitchen).  Anyway, for health reasons he mentions that he uses lean meat and adds a fat replacer to duplicate the texture of higher fat sausages.  I see they sell this in the catalog I order all my casing and cures from, but don't know anyone that has tried it.  I like leaner sausage like that made from buffalo or venison here in South Dakota anyway, but the fat replacer could keep it from becoming dry.  Any experience with this stuff[?]

Cold Smoke

Hey Trout, please make sure to let us know how your sausage making turns out. I've recently purchased that book from Rytek Kutas (don't have the video) and I've been sitting on the fence about buying a sausage stuffer like you describe. I've never made homemade sausage yet but good results from you could help me fall off my wallet and get one. Has anyone used the sausage kits/cures that Hi-Mountain sells?

PS-Where'd you get your stuffer from?

Cold Smoke

Regforte

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trout</i>
<br />By the way, has anyone ever made sausage and added a fat replacer.[?]  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is a subjective opinion obviously, but here goes. I thought it was awful and I'd never consider using it again. When I want a lower fat product, I keep the added fat to a minimum with the understanding that the sausage won't be as versatile and has to be cooked a certain way (you absolutely can't overcook a lower fat sausage or it will be inedible). There are other tricks you can use to boost the flavor while lowering the fat, but the fat replacer stuff doesn't qualify for me.

My 2c.