Summer Sausage?

Started by msiler, February 05, 2004, 05:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout

Cold smoke, I bought a Trespade 6lb stuffer.  About $170.  Cabelas used to sell a 6lb stuffer also, but now their smallest is 11lb and $230.  Go ahead and try stuffing some sausage with a grinder first.  The meat is very tacky and I have always had trouble feeding it back through.  I think $170 is going to be worth it to make a more fun experience.[;)]

Regforte, opinions are what I am looking for.  Thanks for your take on the fat replacer. [xx(] If others feel the same, I probably won't even try the stuff.

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

trout

My new sausage stuffer arrived a couple days ago and wouldn't ya know it I caught my family's 24hour flu bug.[V]  Haven't even gotten to try it out yet.  Just starting to be able to think about food again today, so maybe this weekend I will be able to smoke some sausages.  Big storm on the way though.  May just read about what everyone else is cooking up.[8D]

Fuzzybear

Bummer man....hopefully you'll be well enough for the weekend sausage smoke![:D]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Regforte</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trout</i>
<br />By the way, has anyone ever made sausage and added a fat replacer.[?]  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is a subjective opinion obviously, but here goes. I thought it was awful and I'd never consider using it again. When I want a lower fat product, I keep the added fat to a minimum with the understanding that the sausage won't be as versatile and has to be cooked a certain way (you absolutely can't overcook a lower fat sausage or it will be inedible). There are other tricks you can use to boost the flavor while lowering the fat, but the fat replacer stuff doesn't qualify for me.

My 2c.

Are we referring to what The SausageMaker sells as "Soy Protien Concentrate"? Since he uses it in a lot of his recipes, I did too & didn't notice anything negative. Let me quantify that by saying, I've only made fresh sausages to this point, none smoked. Does that make a difference?

If not, I will defer to your experience & try the next batch without it. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Regforte

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
Are we referring to what The SausageMaker sells as "Soy Protien Concentrate"? Since he uses it in a lot of his recipes, I did too & didn't notice anything negative. Let me quantify that by saying, I've only made fresh sausages to this point, none smoked. Does that make a difference?

Nope. I've used SPC and it works well, but I now use powdered milk instead of SPC because it's cheaper and easier to get.

What I was talking about was the "Fat Raplacer" stuff.

Fat Replacer

In his video Rytek says it's a good product. It's about the only time I've ever disagreed with him [:)]

Bassman

Here's my opinion,
I have been making sausage (both smoked & fresh)for several years now and have never used fat replacer(what exactly is in that?) or soy protein concentrate.No matter what kind I'm making I don't like fatty sausage, so for fresh sausage I mix it with beef or venison 50/50.For smoked 70/30.The pork I use is ground pork butts, not trimmings.This makes a lean yet delicous product.When a recipe calls for SPC I too use powdered milk instead.In fact the smoked venison sausage recipe I posted is a spin off of Ryteks recipe on page 280.He calls for 12ozs of SPC,I replaced it with 4 envelopes of powdered milk and had excellent results.I don't really know what the fat content comes out to be,but when you cut the sausage you can't see chunks of fat in it.That to me is good.[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

trout

Ground up a boneless chuck roast for some summer sausage today.  Mixed in the cure and seasonings and stuffed a couple 2.5 inch thick sausage sticks as long as would fit in the smoker.  New sausage stuffer worked excellent, press stuffer is so much easier than feeding meat back into my meat grinder.  Will post results along with recipe and smoking times tomorrow after they're done.[:p]

Bassman

Trout,
Did you mix any pork in with the beef? I never made summer sausage,just curious![8D]

Jack

trout

I have never mixed any pork in my summer sausage.  I find if you use a cheaper cut of beef such as the chuck roast, there is enough fat in it to make a good sausage without adding any pork.  If I was using venison (didn't get my deer this year), I would add a chunk of pork butt to add some fat.[;)]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trout</i>
<br />(didn't get my deer this year)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Let your deer go and smoke a squirrel instead![:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

Good one Kirk!!! I'm still laughing....[:D][:D][:D]

(BTW Trout- not laughing at you).

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

Smoke a <s>squirrl</s> rat? hummm.  I needed the laugh.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

trout

Just how many squirrels does it take to make 5lbs of sausage[?]  Finished up my summer sausage this afternoon.  Yummmmmm.  The recipe I used is actually a spicy snack stick recipe, but it makes great summer sausage.
10lbs meat (I used a chuck roast)
3tsp ground celery
3tsp white pepper
3tsp nutmeg
3tsp curry powder
5Tbs salt
2tsp curing salt
1tsp liquid smoke (optional)
1cup non-fat dry milk (binder)
5Tbs powdered dextrose
1cup ice water

I stuffed mine into 2.5 inch casings the length of the racks.
dried at 100F for an hour
started smoke and went to 130F for an hour
went to 150F for an hour
went to 170F for 5 hours to hit internal temp of 152F.

Turned out great.  There was just a bit of fat rendered off the sausage, so next time I will max out the temp at only 160F and let it set for a while longer.

If you don't have all day to do these thick chubs, you can pull them out after a few hours and put them in a 170F hot water bath on the stove until they hit 152F.  Should only take 30 minutes or so.[:p]

Bassman

Thanks for the recipe Trout, It sounds really good. I will be trying this next time we make sausage.

Jack

trout

Made some lean mettwurst this week.  Came out very well, but I am beginning to learn some things:  The last batch of summer sausage I did came out a very nice deep red/brown color.  I had it in the smoker for about 9hours, 4 hours of that with smoke.  I didn't have enough time with the mettwurst so I had to finish it in a 170F hot water bath to bring it to 152F.  Although I applied smoke for the same length of time, the color was not near as deep as the last batch.  When I smoke sausage I start at just over 100F to dry, then apply smoke and raise to 130F then 150F and finally no more than 170F.  I believe it is the time at the higher temps in the smoker that begin to bring on the nice darker color.  Taste is the same with either method, but if you have the time it sure looks better to finish it completely in the smoker.  This is probably why store bought sausage always comes in a dark colored casing (because it has smoke flavor added to the meat and is actually cooked in a steam cabinet).[xx(]