My First ABTs - The Fiasco Begins

Started by ArnieM, September 19, 2009, 11:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on September 19, 2009, 02:38:48 PM
Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 19, 2009, 01:58:44 PM
CRG has an excuse; he's been smoking all week. What is yours Arnie?

HR
I've been drinking adult beverages all week.  It's medicinal, due to my arthritis.

I can understand that. I drink JD in hope it would cure my in growing toe nail.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

ArnieM, looks great. thanks for the pics.

ArnieM

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 19, 2009, 03:41:45 PM
I can understand that. I drink JD in hope it would cure my in growing toe nail.
HR
You have to use more branch water - or maybe less branch water.  It's like smoking, you have to experiment.  I still haven't found anything that will grow hair on my head.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 19, 2009, 03:47:15 PM
ArnieM, looks great. thanks for the pics.
You're welcome CRG.  I think the quick parboil makes them pretty edible. But, since I've never even smoked them before let alone eaten them, I'm not sure how they might compare to the pros.  But, they were certainly GOOD.
-- Arnie

pensrock

They look really good, great job. You do not need too many ADT's unless you have a few pepperheads coming to the party. You can also finely chop a hab and mix it into the cream cheese mixture, that will spice up the ABT's some.

Wheres the picture of you two eating the ADT's?  ???
Did you parboil the habs with the penos at the same time?
I mentioned the habs were little firecrackers, didn't I?  :o
Well now you can try different things stuffed inside the ABT's. Try chopped up brisket or pulled pork, mixed with cheese or precooked sausage. Its all good. I have an idea floating around in my head to try. I know it will be great but want to try it out before posting it.

ArnieM

Quote from: pensrock on September 19, 2009, 05:13:03 PM
They look really good, great job. You do not need too many ADT's unless you have a few pepperheads coming to the party. You can also finely chop a hab and mix it into the cream cheese mixture, that will spice up the ABT's some.
I thought of sacrificing one hab up chopped up for the stuffing.  But, I'm new at this (ABTs) and figured I'd go one step at a time.  The ABTs turned out pretty well without the extra heat.

Sorry.  My eyes were watering too much for pics.
Did you parboil the habs with the penos at the same time?
Yeah.  I had rapidly boiling salted water.  I put the penos in for one minute and then threw in the habs for another minute.  Then dumped them into the colander and hit them with cold water.  Boy, that will clear your sinuses.
I mentioned the habs were little firecrackers, didn't I?  :o
Yes you did; yes they are.  Scared the hell outa the cat.
Well now you can try different things stuffed inside the ABT's. Try chopped up brisket or pulled pork, mixed with cheese or precooked sausage. Its all good. I have an idea floating around in my head to try. I know it will be great but want to try it out before posting it.
Once you stuff some, it seems like the sky is the limit.  The cheese mix is nice and gooey and creamy.  I agree with you on a meat mix.  Then, there's re-fried beans, (X) salad (X = tuna, turkey, chicken, salmon)?  But, I think that no matter what the stuffing is, a bacon wrap is absolutely required!
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 19, 2009, 05:38:32 PM
  The cheese mix is nice and gooey and creamy.  I agree with you on a meat mix.  Then, there's re-fried beans, (X) salad (X = tuna, turkey, chicken, salmon)?  But, I think that no matter what the stuffing is, a bacon wrap is absolutely required!

Smoked tuna+cheese stuffed peppers...   Hmm..    Just thinking ahead to Lent!   

Ok, the bacon would be a no-no.  :(

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: pensrock on September 19, 2009, 05:13:03 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on September 19, 2009, 05:38:32 PM

Sorry.  My eyes were watering too much for pics.

We will let ya go on the pics this time. But make sure you have pics of your brother-in-law chomping on his 1st ADT!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 19, 2009, 05:52:01 PM
Sorry, I'm not very religious.  Isn't Lent in the spring?

OK, how 'bout this.  Some chopped smoked salmon or tuna with some of your favorite cheese and chives as a stuffing.  Par boil the peppers for about 4 minutes, drain and cool; they're not going to cook too long.  Stuff the peppers and wrap with your favorite "thin" fish fillets - sole might be good.  Dunk in OO and let 'em drain.  Maybe about 40 minutes of your wood (I might try Alder) and another 20-30 minutes of cooking.  (Whole thing done at about 220.)  You don't want to dry out the fish wrap.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 19, 2009, 06:00:40 PM
We will let ya go on the pics this time. But make sure you have pics of your brother-in-law chomping on his 1st ADT!  :D

I'll try, but the 'reds' might be blown out.
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

What does par boiling do for the pepper ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on September 19, 2009, 06:26:20 PM

OK, how 'bout this.  Some chopped smoked salmon or tuna with some of your favorite cheese and chives as a stuffing.  Par boil the peppers for about 4 minutes, drain and cool; they're not going to cook too long.  Stuff the peppers and wrap with your favorite "thin" fish fillets - sole might be good.  Dunk in OO and let 'em drain.  Maybe about 40 minutes of your wood (I might try Alder) and another 20-30 minutes of cooking.  (Whole thing done at about 220.)  You don't want to dry out the fish wrap.

Sounds good, but I might try either thin trout or salmon fillets. The more oil in the fish the better. Sole has a 12% fat to calorie ratio versus 40% fat to calorie for wild Atlantic salmon. Wild trout come in at 26%. It should help to keep the fish moist while smoking.
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 19, 2009, 06:29:48 PM
What does par boiling do for the pepper ?
FLB I believe that it helps soften the Japs so you dont get the crunch in them if you under smoke them by mistake.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 19, 2009, 06:38:19 PM

Sounds good, but I might try either thin trout or salmon fillets. The more oil in the fish the better. Sole has a 12% fat to calorie ratio versus 40% fat to calorie for wild Atlantic salmon. Wild trout come in at 26%. It should help to keep the fish moist while smoking.

Thanks guys!  I will tuck this one away for Lent.

Yes, I'm an Irish Catholic farm boy, turned Software Engineer..

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 19, 2009, 06:48:23 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 19, 2009, 06:38:19 PM

Thanks guys!  I will tuck this one away for Lent.

Yes, I'm an Irish Catholic farm boy, turned Software Engineer..

Squirt being a Catlicker myself I done some research. The No fish on Fridays was started in Boston by the Cardinal to help the local fishing economy, and it stuck. If you want to get technical the bible says one SHOULD NOT eat the meat from an animal with a split hoof. Therefore I eat beef, pork , lamb, venison and meat on Friday's during lent. I figure if I'm wrong I will pay when I have more time to worry about them things right now I follow Andrew Zimmer's advice " If it looks good, EAT IT!!"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!