Bad Smoke

Started by jsampso, December 06, 2009, 08:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: Huntnfreak on December 06, 2009, 11:47:22 AM
Quarlow-How does the Jim Beam fit into mix?  I've never tried them before last night.  I smoked two pork butts last night and am now just waiting for them to get up to temp so I can pull them.  It smells so good I'm drooling, can't wait to taste it.  I only smoked for 4 hours because I didn't know if it would be overpowering or not. 

Jim Beam are Oak.

4 hours is good for butts, and it is the max smoke most on here use.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

The Jim Beams are just oak barrels that were used for making JB and then ground up for the pucks, so they will be Oak with a hint of JB. I have not used them. They also had some from Crown Royal.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

jsampso chop that beef up, put your fav BBq sauce on and make sammies out of it. Chaulk it up to a learning experience.

WE have all made mistakes ( well I haven't ;D ), yes I have. The mesquite might have been alittle much for 3 lbs of beef,
on a different or larger meat the outcome would probably have been just fine. I like mesquite, but I'm from Texas.

It has been mentioned that the mesquite pucks in their 20 minute cycle do not burn as far as rest of the pucks so you
probably got smoke extra smoke time before it burnt to ash.

Until you get the hang, just post what you want to do and see if anyone can offer suggestions, then after the learning curve
you are on your way.

Now get back out there and smoke something else.

jsampso

Thanks for all of the feedback. Hearing your different perspectives is educating someone new to smoking. It might have just been the strength of the mesquite and not knowing what to expect. My first three smokes were with pecan and I thought they tasted fine. I just finished a turkey breast with pecan and it tastes great.

classicrockgriller

Post some pics so we can enjoy  your smokes too.

Try this link to get your pictures going.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11