New (Almost) Owner Questions

Started by Squid, September 20, 2009, 01:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Two questions.

a) Does Bradley pre-burn in its smokers?  Bought a 4 rack digital today.  The box was fairly beat up and the smoke feeder runway (sorry there's probably a specific term for it, but the conveyer part) looked sooty when I unpacked it.  You could run your finger across it and get grime/soot on it.  Otherwise it looked fairly clean.  I returned it for a refund and the dealer was very good about it.  I'm assuming these are typically spotless from the factory, but thought I'd check just in case Bradley had some weird practice like running through 2-3 wood discs to test before shipping.  Planning to get another, but wanted to know if my expectations were wrong. 

b) Where do most people place these.  I was assuming they had to be fully outside, but saw some posts about putting them in garages.  Is a garage safe?  Would love to keep it in there when I finally pick up my replacement, but it seems like it would smoke up the garage and could potentially be a fire risk if sparks ever float out the top vent.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the Forum Squid!

Mine was clean when I got it, maybe you got one that was returned ??
Was the inside shiny or smoke-tinged ?

Mine is on a covered patio.

In a garage, you are going to want a way to vent the smoke, or put it near an open door.

I have never seen a spark. the pucks just smolder, there is not a flame, at least with the electric models.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Dang FLBR.  I am always right behind you.   :)

Ditto on FLBR's reply.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Hey there squid and welcome to the forum.

Although I am relatively new to the Bradley family (but not to smoking) I can say with a clear conscious that Bradley would never ever sell  you a smoker as you have described. I don't know them personally, but judging from their customer service, I know that they would not do it. I am with FLB on all what he said especially about the dealer you bought from making a mistake (or trying to pull a fast one).

A covered porch would be the ideal and least hassle place to place your smoker. Again as FLB said if you put the Bradley in Garage, you would need to vent the smoke out. I have it on my second floor balcony away from rain and direct wind. IMHO, it is safer than your stove.

At any rate, this is the best forum you could find answers for questions related to smoking. Nice folks with lots of help for you for the asking.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

BigJohnT

I keep mine under the eve of my roof (roof sticks out 24") on a roll around typewriter stand with a Bradley cover on it. I just wheel it out on the deck and take the cover off and fire it up.

John

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on September 20, 2009, 01:45:58 PM
Dang FLBR.  I am always right behind you.   :)

Ditto on FLBR's reply.

KyNola

We'll call it a posters paceline...

:D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Squid

Thanks that helps.  I think it had been returned to the retailer boxed back up as if it hadn't been used.  From your description, it had definitely been used and returned.  It wasn't directly from Bradley, it was from a outdoors store in KC (won't say who as they handled it well and gave me a full refund).  I just wanted to make sure it should be completely clean so I didn't just accept it if the next one I pick up was similar.  By this time next week, I should be a Bradley owner once again.

Quarlow

Hello Squid and welcome. I have to agree, Bradley would never shipping anything like that. It sounds to me like it was one that was returned and either your supplier mistakenly gave you it or he was trying to save the return shipping cost for sending it back to bradley or he figured he might be able to resell it.
I have my OBS on an old computer desk outside on my back deck. I have to bring it is in when not in use or some other family would be enjoying my smoker.

This is mine set up last night with my temporary cold smoker box for doing cheese and the like,

but usually the smoke generator is obviously attached to the side of the tower.
This some smoked salmon I did 2 weeks ago.

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

Hey Squid, welcome aboard.

I keep mine in a Suncast tool storage cabinet.  Works great, and keeps the wind/weather away from it.

This is it's final home (once I get it all wired up again).

classicrockgriller

Welcome ! ! I let my Bradley, whom I have affectionately named Gabi, sleep on the couch in the den.
Took me 3 tries on spell check to get "affectionately" right.

Squid

Took a couple of weeks, but I got a replacement one.  I ordered from walmart.com and it looks great.  The prior one I'd picked up locally had definitely been used.  This one is very clean.  Look forward to trying it out in the next few days.

classicrockgriller

Attaboy Squid. Hate that happened but that was not a Bradley fault but of the Co who originally sold you that and they probably didn't know either.

Glad you are on your way to "SMOKIN"

Ask if you need any help.

Quarlow

Good luck Squid, smoke it if ya got it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

welcome to our addiction squid.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

MPTubbs

Squirt.....
Great cooking station. Gives me some ideas!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.