What would you smoke?

Started by ArnieM, September 20, 2009, 05:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Yeah, it's kind of a wide open subject line.  I've had my OBS for less than a month and done chicken, pork ribs, brisket and butt.  But, I have to do MORE.  The link below is to my favorite local grocery, for this week's (starting Monday) sale.  They have a three store chain, great quality and there's never a line at the checkout.  Really a nice place.

What would you pick to smoke and maybe a hint on a how-to?

http://www.caraluzzis.com/files/NextWeeksAd(71).pdf
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Turkey Breast is on sale.

Top Sirloin.

You could cold smoke some rib eyes, wrap in plastic, rest overnight in fridge, grill the next evening.

Flank steak - same treatment as rib eye, or make jerky.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Yeah, I looked at the turkey.  I wanted to smoke one for Thanksgiving and figured maybe I should practice a little first.   ;)

The cold smoke and then grill the rib eyes or flank sounds interesting too.

Thanks for your suggestions.
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

You have a lot to pick from. Like FLB said, top sirloin and turkey breast. Chicken thighs are on sale, I would skin those, then cure and smoke. Shank portion ham is on sale, there have been posts of smoking those that looked great. plus the clams and shrimp are some other ideas. Looks like you have lots of options this week!
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

OK, a few questions.  That's why I asked for a "how-to".

• I'm guessing that cold smoking beef is kind of like cheese.  Especially, keep the temp out of the iffy range?  I may have to kick the cats out of their cardboard box,
  • Chicken thighs.  What would you use for a 'cure'?  Something other than a brine?  Do you skin 'em for the cure/brine or just because the skin comes out rubbery?
  • Ham.  I still have plenty of pulled pork left from today.  I think I'll leave it alone for a few days.
  • Clams.  How do you smoke a clam?

-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Here's a couple Arnie, for the top sirloin I would use this one from FLB. It looks great. It's hot smoked at 200 deg. You can adjust the IT to your taste but his looks good to me. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11005.msg119630#msg119630

For the chicken thighs I have this from OU812, I would skin because the skin has always been rubbery on chicken for me.

1gal cold water
1/2 cup morton kosher salt
3 oz cure #1
3 oz brown sugar
2 lb chicken parts
soak over night (8 hr)

Rinse well, and rinse again, can't over do this part.

Still looking on the clams. Have seen it and looked good.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Thanks HS.  Boy, the sirloin roast from FLB looks great!  As for the chicken, I'll have to find or figure out what cure #1 is.  For now, I'm gonna hit the sack.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Shrimp & lobster!

That lamb roast might be good as well..   Something different.

Caneyscud

The lamb roast sounds excellent, but around my house I'd have to go with the chicken thighs.   My wife and daughter don't do lamb, and I as a doting father and husband would not push my wishes upon them.  (but just wait until they are out of town and I'm batching it!)  Arnie, on chicken thighs if I'm doing them in the Bradley I will skin them.  If on my Traeger or a stickburner - skin stays on.  Marinate them in a very good Italian dressing for at least two hours and then sprinkle on some rosemary and garlic, black pepper and salt if needed, or just sprinkle on some Tone's  Rosemary Garlic seasoning and smoke.  Pretty good eats. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Thanks for the idea on the chicken CS.  Sounds easy AND good.  :)
-- Arnie