Yet another brisket topic

Started by dbrown1, September 22, 2009, 08:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown1

Okay so I got my first brisket, I must be bad at following directions... first off I got a flat not a packer it looks good though (what is the difference)?
My question is we are only three people in my family so I bought one about 5.5 lbs and am going to follow WTS recipe for a smaller brisket what is a good guide for smoke time as well of oven cook time ? thought I read about 2 hours per pound in the oven somewhere... still have a week to go before I am ready so hope to get plenty of input before then.

FLBentRider

I do mine to an IT of at least 190F, however many hours that works out to.

A packer is usually the flat and the point in a cryovac, untrimmed.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 22, 2009, 08:58:36 AM
I do mine to an IT of at least 190F, however many hours that works out to.

A packer is usually the flat and the point in a cryovac, untrimmed.

I like the flat more than the point, slice the flat cube the point.

The time thing is only a guide line to start checking things more closely, like IT and start geting the other fixins ready.

Wildcat

Suggestion: Even though family size may be small, when it comes to brisket and butts, go for the larger sizes. If you have a vacuum sealer, then you can freeze in smaller portion sizes which makes future meals very simple and quick. Simply reheat. I do a lot of butts and will do 2 large ones at a time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Wildact has a good point, brisket and butt make great leftovers and like he said vacuume seal in meal sized bags for later in the week. Just warm up in the bag in simmering not boiling water for about 20 min and its as good as it was be for it was put in the bag.

Wildcat

IMHO it is even better. Smoke does not penetrate very far into meat while it is cooking. Once you pull the meat, chop up the bark into fine pieces. Then blend throughout all of the meat. When you reheat, the smoke flavor penetrates throughout the meat.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Quote from: Wildcat on September 22, 2009, 10:06:48 AM
IMHO it is even better. Smoke does not penetrate very far into meat while it is cooking. Once you pull the meat, chop up the bark into fine pieces. Then blend throughout all of the meat. When you reheat, the smoke flavor penetrates throughout the meat.

You got that right.

ArnieM

I did a whole brisket (not a packer) cut in half.  The tip was on a higher shelf and the probe was in the tip.  I figured on 1.5 hours/lb but it was closer to 2 to get to 190.  The total weight was a little over 8 pounds. Actually, the point sliced very nicely.

I'm going to do the freezing thing with my left over pulled pork.  I love the stuff but can't face it at every meal.  ;)  I'll use the chopped up bark trick.  I don't have a vacuum sealer so I'll just put it zip-type freezer bags and squeeze out all of the air that I can.  Once, I saw Alton Brown put stuff in a zip bag, insert a straw in the opening and zip to just leave room for the straw.  He sucked out the air and did a quick remove-the-straw and seal.  But, he's a little ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

dbrown1

Excellent suggestions, I will make sure and get Half a cow next time  :P... What bisquettes would anyone suggest for this I have heard hickory and mesquite also oak, but this will be my first piece of smoked meat so I don't have a preference as I have yet to use any of those...

squirtthecat

Last 2 briskets I used 1/2 apple and 1/2 hickory..

pensrock

I'm doing one today with hickory.

ArnieM

I did mine with Oak.  So there you have it; we all agree.  :D
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Sorry db1, I forgot to mention.  This 'throwdown' thread is a must-read before you do your brisket.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11411.0
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

I forgot, I did my pastrami (corned beef brisket flat) with Pecan..

So, yeah..  Anything but hedge will work fine.

Caneyscud

Uhhh.  Can I say Mesquite.  The queen of brisket woods (except maybe post oak, but no post oak pucks can I find)
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"