Bacon temp?

Started by watchdog56, September 26, 2009, 08:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

OK I cured bacon in frig for 1 week,rinsed and put in frig uncovered overnight. Frig is working fine.
Let sit out of frig for 1 hour like Tenpoint five recommends. Set smoker temp to 140 for 2 hours of smoke and using my pid and maverick it tells me the internal temp of bacon started out at 125 as soon as I put probe in slab. I cleaned my probe off every time I use it so I know there is no crud on it. I took the probe out of smoker completely and it feels cool. In fact the Maverick is still reading the temp at 148 after being out for 10 minutes. It worked fine last weekend when I used it for sausage. I am thinking my probe is bad. Unfortunately bacon is in and all I have is an old meat therm. Will have to try to read that.

KyNola

WD56,
I suspect you may be correct about the probe going bad on you.  Just for the heck of it, pull the batteries out of both units and replace them.  Also, did you try the box probe too?  If so did it appear to be wrong too?

KyNola

watchdog56

New batteries in my last smoke. The box probe seems to be exactly what my PID reads.

watchdog56

Well I took food probe and put in oven at 350 for 10 minutes.(not the plug in end but just the probe and most of wire.) I am guessing there might have been some moisture in the wire because now the temp is reading ok after plugging back into my maverick. Food temp is down to 82 and slowly climbing.

HawkeyeSmokes

Glad to hear you got the probe working watchdog56. What I have started doing to clean my probes is wipe them them down after using with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. No chance of getting moisture in one that way. I learned the hard way what water can do to them. Good luck on that bacon.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Same thing just happened to me...  I left the ET-73 probe coiled up on top of my OBS, and it got wet from the heavy fog we had this morning.   It finally sprang to life a couple minutes ago as it heated up inside the cabinet.

OU812

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 26, 2009, 09:04:19 AM
Glad to hear you got the probe working watchdog56. What I have started doing to clean my probes is wipe them them down after using with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. No chance of getting moisture in one that way. I learned the hard way what water can do to them. Good luck on that bacon.  ;D

Same here, I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol with my smoking stuff. I also use it to clean the door gasket and the contact area of the smoker.

Glad to here you got the maverick up and running again.