Thats looking good, I'll have one of each  ;D

Those look like what an Italian restaurant around here calls calzone's

Any thing else in there or just pork?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on September 24, 2009, 03:18:09 PM
Thats looking good, I'll have one of each  ;D

Those look like what an Italian restaurant around here calls calzone's

Any thing else in there or just pork?

Pork n cheese and mashed taters n cheese.   I usually do these with GB, sofrito and olives.

nepas

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 24, 2009, 11:47:15 AM
Quote from: Caribou on September 24, 2009, 10:31:52 AM
YUM!!!!!
The crust is such a beautiful color, too!
What do you add to the crust to make that color?
Is that a secret, too?  :'(
Carolyn

Thats a secret too its Goya rounds found in the freezer section  ;D  ;D
They make white or orange.

Oh wait i made em YEAH YEAH UH HUH  ;D  :D

nepas
Ah, ha!  You slipped up Nepas!  :D :D :D
Is there a distinct flavor on the orange ones like chili or is it just cosmetic?  ;)
Carolyn

ArnieM

OK, I got mine today (the orange rounds).  They had the white and orange colored ones in the freezer aisle with their own Goya sign.  Whoopee!  They also had premade Empanadas with a cheese filling, but that's no fun.

The package says, "Goya, 10 discos, con color, Para Empanadas, 14 oz.  Paper between each disco.  Keep frozen, dumb gringo."  I only understood the gringo part.  :)

They are 6 inches in diameter.  They appear to be brittle when frozen.  A number of packages had shattered ones on the outside.

So, here are the 'secret' ingredients:
Forget it; too many to list.  But, it does contain something they called annato.  I looked it up and found 'annatto'.  I'd guess that's it.  Here's a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annatto .  It sounds right.  I especially like the body painting part.  Honey, where are you?

I'm happy and I hope this has helped some.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

Real empanadas use Sofrito with GB and diced green olives.
If you dont make it you can buy Goya frozen sofrito where you got the rounds.  Gringo mudo  :D  :D  ;D

Sofrito Recipe

2 medium Spanish onions, cut into large chunks
3 to 4 Italian frying peppers or cubanelle peppers
16 to 20 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large bunch cilantro, washed
7 to 10 ajices dulces (see note below), optional
4 leaves of culantro (see note below), or another handful cilantro
3 to 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into large chunks

Chop the onion and cubanelle or Italian peppers in the work bowl of a food processor until coarsely chopped. With the motor running, add the remaining ingredients one at a time and process until smooth. The sofrito will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It also freezes beautifully. Freeze sofrito in ½ cup batches in sealable plastic bags. You can even add sofrito straight from the freezer to the pan.

nepas

ArnieM

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 24, 2009, 05:34:35 PM
Real empanadas use Sofrito with GB and diced green olives.
OK, I'm dumb.  What's GB?
If you dont make it you can buy Goya frozen sofrito where you got the rounds.  Gringo mudo  :D  :D  ;D

Sofrito Recipe

2 medium Spanish onions, cut into large chunks
3 to 4 Italian frying peppers or cubanelle peppers
16 to 20 cloves garlic, peeled
I like this part.
1 large bunch cilantro, washed
7 to 10 ajices dulces (see note below), optional
4 leaves of culantro (see note below), or another handful cilantro
I'm going dumb again.  I've never heard of either of the two above.  What are they and where's the "note below"?
3 to 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into large chunks

Chop the onion and cubanelle or Italian peppers in the work bowl of a food processor until coarsely chopped. With the motor running, add the remaining ingredients one at a time and process until smooth. The sofrito will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It also freezes beautifully. Freeze sofrito in ½ cup batches in sealable plastic bags. You can even add sofrito straight from the freezer to the pan.

nepas
-- Arnie

NePaSmoKer

GB = GroundBeef   GM = GroundMeat  Not to be confused with GM (General Motors)  :D  :D  ;D

Notes: Ajices Dulces, also known as cachucha or ajicitos are tiny sweet peppers with a hint of heat. They range in color from light to medium green and yellow to red and orange. They add freshness and an herby note to the sofrito and anything you cook. Do not mistake them for Scotch bonnet or Habanero chilies (which they look like)--those two pack a wallop when it comes to heat. If you can find ajicitos in your market, add them to sofrito. If not, up the cilantro and add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Culantro is not cilantro. It has long leaves with tapered tips and serrated edges. When it comes to flavor, culantro is like cilantro times ten. It is a nice, not essential addition to sofrito.

nepas

ArnieM

I'd never even heard of empanadas before, let alone made any.  But this thread got me going.  I got my Goya rounds, stuffed with chopped pulled pork, some BBQ sauce and shredded cheese, fork sealed.  Lookin' good.  I did them in the deep fryer at 340 until they looked done.  But, the dough was tough.  Was it the dough, the cooking temp or me?

Out of the fryer.
-- Arnie

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: ArnieM on September 26, 2009, 07:15:49 PM
I'd never even heard of empanadas before, let alone made any.  But this thread got me going.  I got my Goya rounds, stuffed with chopped pulled pork, some BBQ sauce and shredded cheese, fork sealed.  Lookin' good.  I did them in the deep fryer at 340 until they looked done.  But, the dough was tough.  Was it the dough, the cooking temp or me?

Out of the fryer.

Looks good

When my mom does hers i learned that its better to fry fast in a shallow fry pan instead of deep fry. I use a 8" round fry pan with 3/4" of canola or lard and fry each side until its just about to bubble. Takes about 2 min a side.

nepas

ArnieM

I have plenty of Goya rounds left, so I'll try some in the fry pan.  I've also heard that southern fried chicken is better done in a pan with oil rather than a deep fryer. 
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

They have cast iron for nothin but fryed chicken....you eat some of that and they make milk gravy out of the scrubs and mashed taters.........hmmmm

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on September 26, 2009, 07:15:49 PM

Out of the fryer.

Damn, and I drove through Newtown yesterday........   I paddled about 8 miles of Lake Lillinonah  actually might have been in it???.  Went to Costco in Brookfield and to 84 from there.  Stopped at exit 10 to make sure the kayak was secure because there was a funky noise and wanted to make sure it didn't end up going down the highway in the opposite direction...   Was I ever close to those empanadas???

Look awesome Arnie. 

ArnieM

Deb,

I'm about 2 miles from exit 10 heading north.  So, you weren't too far away.
-- Arnie

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on September 27, 2009, 07:54:45 AM
Deb,

I'm about 2 miles from exit 10 heading north.  So, you weren't too far away.

Thought I could smell smoke when I was checking the kayak :D :D

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on September 26, 2009, 08:37:05 PM
I have plenty of Goya rounds left, so I'll try some in the fry pan.  I've also heard that southern fried chicken is better done in a pan with oil rather than a deep fryer. 

I think the problem there is most home deep fryers either don't get hot enough or the temperature drop when adding the food is to great. I went through a couple of electric ones before I got a Waring Pro that works great.
HawkeyeSmokes