Spicy snack sticks

Started by pensrock, September 23, 2009, 09:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Today I'm making five pounds of spicy snack sticks. I had some at work and the guy gave me the recipe. I did make a few changes, I did not feel he had enough cure in it and I played with the spice mixture a little. I'll wait to see how they taste before posting the recipe, cause I may still need to do a little tweeking. They were really good when he made them so I'm expecting good things from these.
Five pounds 85/15 ground beef, 19mm casings. 1 hr-40 min of hickory at 150 F, then 160 F till IT is 152 F. Then I think I'll put some in the dehydrator to see how they come out, I expect spicy jerky sticks.  :)

As always, click the pictures for a larger view:

Stuffed ready for the smoker

Into the smoker, three racks

More to come later.

pensrock

Should have called this 'rainy day spicy snak sticks' LOL
When I put them in the smoker it was dry out, but now its pouring. Glad my smoker is on a covered deck.  :)

NePaSmoKer

Looks good Greg

Might the rain be heading my way.

nepas

ArnieM

That looks good pens.  My daughter got me grinder and stuffer attachments for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer a few years ago.  I've ground some beef for burgers but never made sausage.  I'm going to have to try it now that I have the OBS.  Maybe some kielbasa for a first attempt.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caribou

Looks great Pens!
You're smokin' rainy day sticks and I'm smokin sunny day jerky.
Supposed to be in the high 80's here today but we did have our first frost Monday morning.
Carolyn

pensrock

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 23, 2009, 11:53:05 AM
Looks good Greg

Might the rain be heading my way.

nepas

It seems to be heading NE and since I'm a little north of you, you may miss it.

Carolyn, we were to have our first frost the other day, I heard some people got hit but it was still ok at my home.
Arnie, My dad has a grinder attachment for the KA and it works great. A little slower than a big dedicated grinder but for small batches it works great. We have never tried it to stuff because I have two stuffers that work really well.

pensrock

Smoking done, bumped temp up to 160, came back later and check IT. IT is now around 120 F. Need 152, but they are looking great.

pensrock

IT up to 155, to late to mess with them tonight. I'll check them out when I get back from the Dr's tomorrow morning.

Look and smell great!

IT about 140.

Finished with the IT at 155.

Caribou

The finished product looks great Pens!
Too bad the scratch and sniff isn't working on my computer today  :D
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Looks like you used the wrong size casing Pens!! You better send them out here for proper disposal. I can send back proper certification of disposal if you need it!

Look great!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RossP

Darn that looks so good I might have to start eating beef again no matter what the consequence. I sure do miss snack sticks :'(
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

classicrockgriller

Looks great pens.....you rock!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Quote from: RossP on September 23, 2009, 10:16:12 PM
Darn that looks so good I might have to start eating beef again no matter what the consequence. I sure do miss snack sticks :'(

Pens look great!

RossP -- I have made them with ground turkey and they were good too!

Hopefull Romantic

A job well done love their color and I am sure the taste is to match.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.