Asian smoked pulled pork!!

Started by Smokeville, September 24, 2009, 07:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

One great pulled-pork rub recipe!

http://sundaynitedinner.com/vietnamese-pulled-pork/

I didn't make the lemongrass sauce, but I did use the rub with Chinese Five Spice, and it was the hit of the evening. Best rub I've found so far.

Dry Rub Ingredients:
2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons course kosher salt
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Started the night before with two 5lb pork butts, one rubbed with the Five-spice rub and the other with a traditional paprika/sugar/salt/etc.

Smoked for 6 hours with hickory, then put them in the oven until the temp hit 195F. They both pulled nicely, but just the aroma from the one with the Five spice nearly drew the neighbours over before our company arrived.

To my taste, there was just no comparison between the two. The regular rubbed pork tasted almost dull in comparison.

We served them up on fresh ciabatta buns from a local Italian bakery along with a home-made vinegar/mustard bbq sauce.

Regards, Rich

squirtthecat

Sounds great!  Bookmarking that one for sure..

Tenpoint5

That does sound like an interesting dry rub.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Sounds like a way to sweeten up your pork, five spice and brown sugar, kinda like cinnamon and sugar toast  :D

Smokeville

Quote from: OU812 on September 24, 2009, 08:12:40 AM
Sounds like a way to sweeten up your pork, five spice and brown sugar, kinda like cinnamon and sugar toast  :D

It wasn't really sweet... just very very tasty. I could taste the cloves.... I bought the Five Spice at Bulk Barn. From what I've read since, Chinese Five Spice has several trillion variations so next time I'm going to visit an Asian food market like T&T or Huan Ming (where I got the pork).

NePaSmoKer

OU812

Quote from: Smokeville on September 24, 2009, 08:24:40 AM
Quote from: OU812 on September 24, 2009, 08:12:40 AM
It wasn't really sweet... just very very tasty. I could taste the cloves.... I bought the Five Spice at Bulk Barn. From what I've read since, Chinese Five Spice has several trillion variations so next time I'm going to visit an Asian food market like T&T or Huan Ming (where I got the pork).
I get mine from Penzeys and it is very flavorful, never thought of putting it in a rub. I can see the cloves would make the butt smell and taste good. Going to have to try this, good find Smokeville

Smokeville

One other thought I had was what wood would go best?

I used hickory, mostly because the bbq sauce I was making was a Carolina style (vinegar/mustard) and hickory smoke was most common there.

Hopefull Romantic

It sounds soo good. I think I am going to try it on my other chicken for tomorrow's dinner.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

That does sound good. A butt with and asian twist.  ;D  I see you forgot to post the pics. Will by later to look at them.  ;D
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 24, 2009, 02:47:57 PM
That does sound good. A butt with and asian twist.  ;D  I see you forgot to post the pics. Will by later to look at them.  ;D

I think there are only about 15 of use on the forum with cameras?   :D  :D

nepas

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 24, 2009, 05:35:59 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 24, 2009, 02:47:57 PM

I think there are only about 15 of use on the forum with cameras?   :D  :D

nepas

Do you mean us or use??? ;D

Hr
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caribou

Thanks for posting your recipe, I'll have to try that.
Got that bottle of 5 spice in my cabinet just waiting for a job to do.  :D
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

Smokeville, Pics add a thousand words, its like...yeah I went there and I got the t-shirt to prove it. The recipe is very interesting, I like chinese 5 star, it is a complex spice. Doesn't work on just anything. Hmm

classicrockgriller

Can you post the ingredients of the 5 spice from your ingredients?
Did it have star anise in it?