Pellicle question

Started by shakesports, September 24, 2009, 09:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Stick

The best part about Myths,is not everyone can discern one...though of course they THINK they can.

Just as Fishing Tackle is designed to catch Fisherman,not fish.

Few are more objective than I and the better way perpetually intrigues my perceptors,which fuels much of my R&D. I am the curious sort,by nature.

Pun intended.

Kummok

Quote from: Big Stick on October 03, 2009, 08:25:58 PM
...Just as Fishing Tackle is designed to catch Fisherman,not fish....

Truer words ne'r spoken.....definitely NOT a myth!

Habanero Smoker

I will have to side with Kummuck on this one. Too many food scientists, and my personal experience agree that the pellicle is essential to maximize smoke penetration and help keep fish moist. That also includes the development of the pellicle on chicken and most cuts of meats.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

I will also side with Habs and Kummok on this one. By the time I finished preparing the pork pieces for last Thursday GALA, I realized that we had too few salmon fillets to go around (the original number of invitees was 9 and went up to 12 Wednesday night and 16 actually ended up here) and it was too late to go buy some. So my wife had to do that on Thursday around noon.

To make a story short, the fillets that were well brined and received about 3 - 4 hours airing time, had a much better smoke flavor (apple) than the second batch that, due to time constraint, only received one hour in front of the fan. First time smoked food hogs (who had more than one piece) even noticed.

HR

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Smokeville

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 04, 2009, 02:39:46 AM

First time smoked food hogs (who had more than one piece) even noticed.

HR

I think this is the point. Smoked salmon (trout for me) is fabulous but with a proper pellicle is super-fabulous....

Big Stick

You know it's time for hip boots,when the Gallery extolls "Food Scientists".

Next it will be a Treatise upon the merits associated with a counter clockwise rotating fan blade,as opposed to clockwise,to fend the Coriolis Effect.

On the brightside,those who believe in Bigfoot have no trouble finding a "Scientist" to back their delusions.

dbrown1

Well Myth or Not I have done it both ways now and I must say with a pellicle if nothing else I end up with no buggers so esthetically it is more pleasing..

Kummok

WHATTAYAMEAN BS!?!? Ya trying to tell me that Bigfoot isn't real?? :o

Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out.
Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (1471-1530)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Kummok on October 04, 2009, 10:01:17 PM
WHATTAYAMEAN BS!?!? Ya trying to tell me that Bigfoot isn't real?? :o

Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out.
Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (1471-1530)

Kummok,

this is the second quote I love from you.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Kummok

This one is from my favorite "quote source"..... ..."We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." (1 Cor 8:1)

I must always remain aware that just because I might know something, I would still be just a fool if I run into a room full of strangers and boast.  ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Big Stick on October 04, 2009, 10:06:43 AM
You know it's time for hip boots,when the Gallery extolls "Food Scientists".

Next it will be a Treatise upon the merits associated with a counter clockwise rotating fan blade,as opposed to clockwise,to fend the Coriolis Effect.

On the brightside,those who believe in Bigfoot have no trouble finding a "Scientist" to back their delusions.

I already had my boots on after reading the following
Quote from: Big Stick on October 03, 2009, 08:25:58 PM
The best part about Myths,is not everyone can discern one...though of course they THINK they can.

Just as Fishing Tackle is designed to catch Fisherman,not fish.

Few are more objective than I and the better way perpetually intrigues my perceptors,which fuels much of my R&D. I am the curious sort,by nature.

Pun intended.

The overwhelming majority of members on this board and here to share, learn and develop, not to sway one's opinion. Having said that I will move on. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

I agree Habs, let's put it behind and move on.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

The Pillicle is a secondary shiny skin which helps help hold in moisture and becomes a glossy tan color when done.  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D

Vanboozin

O.k. I'm sold on air drying to form a good pellicle
My question is should the fish go into the fridge to form pellicle or at room temp in front of a fan ?
What would be the time difference in fridge compared to room temp in front of fan ?
My first time smoking, coho is soaking in the brine overnight. i know Kummok's recipe calls for air dry in fridge but also noticed lots of people air drying in front of the fan .

Quarlow

I have the landlord bringing me a newer fridge so this one is going down stairs. I have a small fan I got from wal-mart and am going to set it up in the fridge just for drying fish and nuts after I soak them and anything else I can think of to put in the smoker. It will also be best for brining the salmon in a fridge although a fan is not needed for that. It is best to dry in a frdge nut remember you have cure the fish so the time it needs the pellicle is fine out of the fridge. good luck with your fish.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.