Cold Smoking Ribeyes for the First Time

Started by Caribou, September 24, 2009, 04:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Carolyn, I did mine with apple for about 2.5 hours (I think).  I can't tell you if it's any good.  It's been 8 days.  Waiting, waiting, ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

I generally use 2-3 hours for the cheese and an hour for steaks.  I wrap the steaks (Saran wrap) overnight and vacuum seal the cheese for a minimum of two weeks, both in the fridge.

deb415611

Quote from: Caribou on September 25, 2009, 12:56:10 PM

And I wrap the cheese and let it age in the fridge for 10 days?
Right?
Carolyn

I usually vac seal mine.

Sounds like a great meal planned! 

Caribou

thanks everyone!
Okay, let me know if I have this correct.
Pecan is stronger than Apple so an hour should be okay?

CRG,
Heck yes I'll be taking pics of the steaks before anyone gets to them  :D
Carolyn

KyNola

Carolyn,
If you're talking about an hour of pecan for the cheese, I think for your first go at it, you're on the right track.  If it's not smokey enough for you, you'll know to go 2 hours next time.  I generally go betwen 2-3 hours, depending on the wood I'm using.

KyNola

OU812

Pecan is a little lighter than Hickory and Apple is a lot lighter I would say one hr and check back in 10 days. If it needs more then add the next time.
I vac seal mine for the wait

Hopefull Romantic

Carolyn the last time I did cheese, I went with 2 hrs of apple. That was about 8 days ago. Tonight and since I was having this big dinner, I could not resist but to boast about the cheese so I sliced some. They were great and could be eaten all now. I would recommend you to go with a bit stronger wood; oak or hickory for about the same smoking time and vacuum seal it for at least 10 to 15 days. If you should get the urge in the meantime, you just use CRG's advise about jogging and taking cold showers.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

Take your dog out for a run Carolyn and try to relax. 

What kind of dog is that?  It's difficult to tell from the small pic.  Pit Bull, Boxer, mutt?  And, what are those skinny looking birds?  They look like they should have been "thrown back".
-- Arnie

Caribou

Quote from: ArnieM on September 25, 2009, 05:40:26 PM
Take your dog out for a run Carolyn and try to relax. 

What kind of dog is that?  It's difficult to tell from the small pic.  Pit Bull, Boxer, mutt?  And, what are those skinny looking birds?  They look like they should have been "thrown back".
That's our boxer pup Bentley.
And those are laying chicken roosters, they are built a lot different than the Foster Farm variety  :D

thanks everyone for the great info and encouragement.
I'll be doing one hour of pecan for the steaks and cheese tonight.
This is fun!
Carolyn

Caribou

Hi Y'all!
I promised I would post pics of the cold-smoked rib eyes.
Also, I did go ahead and smoked some cheese, too.
There's the steaks, ready to go in.

The smoker loaded with steaks, cheese and ice.

The finished cheese.

The steaks after being grilled.

Our guests enjoying the smokey goodness!  :D

Thanks for ALL the help!
Carolyn

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking spread there Carolyn and looks like you had some very happy guests.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

ArnieM

Those steaks AND the cheese are looking good Carolyn!  The tough part is waiting out the cheese.  Our cats say Hi to Bentley.  ;)
-- Arnie

Caribou

Quote from: ArnieM on September 27, 2009, 09:12:48 AM
Those steaks AND the cheese are looking good Carolyn!  The tough part is waiting out the cheese.  Our cats say Hi to Bentley.  ;)
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!
Sorry CRG for not getting the pics out last night like you wanted, I had to clean up after company.
Arnie,
Bentley says hello back.  He likes kitties, we have an ancient farm cat named Squeaky that he does pretty well with.
Arnie I thought of you yesterday because I cooked up acorn squash from our garden. 
I roasted them with butter, maple syrup and Penzey's Tsardust Memories.(salt, pepper, garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon, marjoram)
Carolyn

ArnieM

The acorns sound good Carolyn.  I've used brown sugar and maple syrup before but we tend to like them fairly plain.

Hawkeye just gave me a link to Penzey's today.  Their online catalog has some nice recipes.  It turns out they have a store about 30 miles from me so I may stop in.  That store is also looking for help and I'm out of a job.  Hmmmm.  Spices must be kind of like software.  ;D
-- Arnie