About to purchase and need some help

Started by brewerpac, September 24, 2009, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewerpac

Hi,

A visit from some friends from Oregon last week, who own the DBS, led to the point where I'm about to purchase a BS. My wife likes the idea on two fronts: less cooking for her and she thinks it will keep me out of trouble. Plus, our friends' tale of making pastrami, which she loves, in their BS, had her thinking that this would be the perfect mutual Christmas present for us this year. But an early Christmas present so that we can take advantage of the usually great fall weather here in Maryland and get smoking as soon as possible.

Here's where I need some help from you kind folks on the forum.  Let me first tell you that I've always loved anything smoked- cheese, sausage, wild game, fish/seafood, pork, beef, poultry, eggs, nuts, beer- you name it. So, I'll probably be trying a little of everything.  However, I'm stuck on whether I should go with the DBS (4-rack), the OBS, or the SS. I'll probably get a PID down the road, but not now. I'm also considering getting the cold smoke adaptor to start, so I'd be interested in opinions on that as well.

My friends with the DBS swear by it and told us about a friend who had the OBS and regretted not getting the DBS, but from what I've read here and in other reviews, it seems that folks fall pretty equally on both sides and some even have both.

I'm also probably going to order from Yard and Pool, even though the prices are a bit better on Amazon, but I like what I hear on here about Bryan and Yard and Pool, plus I'd like to support a local Maryland business, particularly in these tight times, and even though that means I have to pay the Maryland 6% sales tax. However, I do like that I can get everything in one place.

I appreciate all of your input and time.

Thanks

classicrockgriller

brewerpac, first of all welcome to the forum, a great place to make friends that like what you like....smoking everything (beer too)
I have a DBS as I am not as smart as some of these guys and if it gets close, its eaten. If you get a DBS you can add a PID later
if you want. I went thru the same thoughts as you and finally put my choices on my dart board and bought the one I hit. I got a
JB D4R. Am very happy with it. Bradley as a company is first class. Brian Bradley tours the forum and helps with problems and gives
us this great room to stay out of trouble and post great recipes for our Bradley. If you have a question or problem, someone will help
you. All they ask in return is that you post pictures of your smokes. Good luck!

NePaSmoKer

WTG

On your purchase and Bryan and the Y&P staff are top notch.

nepas

brewerpac

Hey there classicrockgriller,

Thanks for the welcome and the input.  I've got a dart board in the basement, so I might just use your decision-making method! I like the looks of that Jim Beam model as well, so I'll have to add that one to the board and fire away.

And i'll remember to post some pics when the time comes.

Thanks again.

classicrockgriller

One more thing, get Bryan to set you up with a Maverick et-73. With that you can monitor you cabinet heat (the Bradley temp is close, this is just a little more accurate) and you can monitor the IT of what you are cooking. You will want an accurate temp source.

brewerpac

Thanks for the advice on the Maverick.

nepas, thanks and thanks also for your convenient link to Y&P, which is what led me their site in the first place (that, plus the ringing and unsolicited endorsements).

Hopefull Romantic

Hi brewerpac and welcome to the forum.

I support every thing CRG said and he has gotten you off to a great start. As for Nepas, he will never send you on a bum steer.

I just wanted to comment on the cold smoke adaptor. When I made my purchase I decided to go all out and get all that there is including the cold smoke adaptor. It is great for all cold smokes and I love it. You can build your own if you wish, but I decided to get a set with bradley's name all over.

Good luck.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Hi brewerpac;

Welcome to the forum.

I have no advice for you on which model to purchase, but in case you didn't know Yard & Pool also has a retail store, so if you are in Maryland you should drive over there and visit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I have the OBS. I have cranked out some mighty fine eats with it.

I added a PID and it made it easier.

A PID is not a requirement, but it makes doing sausage and some fish recipes a lot easier.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome to the forum.  My learned colleagues have given you great advice.  There is nothing useful I can add.  Just wanted to welcome you aboard and tell you that the Bradley folks are one fine group to be associated with.  You will not find better customer support and service.

KyNola

OU812

Welcome to the fun

The only thing I can add is get your self some bubba pucks

I have the DBS6 and love it. I have sence added a PID

brewerpac

Thanks to all for the welcome and advice.

I was trying to figure out if Y&P had a bricks-and-mortar store as well, so thanks to Habanero Smoker for that info. Thanks also to Hopefull Romantic for letting me know about the cold smoke adaptor. I think that I will go all out as well and order that with the smoker, especially since I want to do some smoked cheese and I think that it will also work well for smoking grains to use in my homebrewed beer. If any beer lovers out there haven't tried a traditional Rauchbier along with smoked foods, you really should- it's incredible.

And thank you OU812- I've already added the bubba pucks to my preliminary Y&P shopping cart.

And I will keep the PID in mind (maybe after a few months of getting to know the BS).

I'll keep you posted on which BS that I decide to get- I'm hoping to do my first smoke by early October.  :)

Thanks again to everyone.

Coop

squirtthecat

If you don't want to spend the $$$ for the pid, this is a nice 1/2 price option...

Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller

It's not a programmable PID, just a nice heavy duty thermostat.

Here is a thread on it, I just updated it with my latest results: (which were all good)

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11518.0

Quarlow

Hey Brewerpac Welcome. All I can add here is that I got my OBS and I do alot of smoked salmon so it fills the smoker pretty quickly. I only wish I had gotten the six rack. If I was to do it again I would get a six rack and put the PID on it right away. The PID for me is better so that I can set the temperature ramp ups and not have to fiddle with it. That being said, You will be happy with any model you get. My last batch of smoked salmon

was 50 lbs and it took my OBS and my brothers digital six rack. And while his was easy to set the temps on, I had my OBS dialed in pretty good. You get them figured out pretty quickly.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

brewerpac

Thanks to squirtthecat and Quarlow for the most recent posts and to all for the warm welcome and the invaluable advice.

I've touched base with Bryan at Yard and Pool, so I should be making a purchase soon and doing my first smoking soon after.  I can't wait.  ;D

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again,

Coop